New member about to open 20k gal of brand new water

Jul 15, 2013
Dallas, TX
Thanks for the wealth of information here. I'm in the process of reading through Pool School but I'm still a little nervous about doing this correctly. The pool belongs to my father-in-law who cannot care for the pool himself. So I've been tasked to do it.

I'll be starting to fill tomorrow evening with plans to fire up the FNS48 Pentair DE filter on Thursday evening once full. The pool is Gunite I think and age is unknown. It's empty because we had to drain it for crack/leak repair. As well as re-glueing some tiles which I'll be doing.

I havnt been able to determine exactly which products, and how much of each to buy for the startup process. I know I'll need the BBB products. But how much of each? And what other chem in addition? I'm in a time crunch here so I'll be picking up a Leslie's FAS-DPD kit, rather than ordering a better kit online.

Any advice y'all can give will be much appreciated.

Welcome to TFP..l A good place to start would be in testing the fill water. See recommended levels in pool school, then use pool calculator to determine what quantities you might need. Chlorine gets priority.

Welcome to TFP!

The Leslie's FAS-DPD kit is the same as the K2006. But make sure they do not try to tell you the DPD kit is the same. It is rare to find the FAS-DPD locally.

Finally got all the stars aligned and was able to get the pool filled. After 24.5 hrs its full as of tonight. Have to go 1st thing tomorrow to pickup a part for the Pentair then add DE and start it up.

Im about to fill in all the values on the Pool Calculator but here are the levels on the fill water. The sample is after the fill was done, but the sample is 2 hrs old. We decided to go home before doing test.

FC .2
CC 2.4
PH 8.0, 1 drop of R-0005 showed 7.4
TA 80
CH 120
CA off the chart, I think it's zero

Ok... Got all the levels in pool calculator. I add bleach only and then re-test or go ahead and add everything that calculator recommends?

The weather is hot & sunny here so with zero CYA my bleach is going to disappear quick. Correct? Does that mean I need to go to the pool store and get liquid stabilizer to add and get my CYA up to 40?

EDIT...just saw your post jblizzle. To be clear...Add CYA (liquid form because I want results asap) before adding ANYTHING else?

Yes, add about 20-30ppm, since you are not sure of your starting CYA. But the liquid will not lower the pH, so you will need to lower it to around 7.2ish before raising the FC to shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
Yes, add about 20-30ppm, since you are not sure of your starting CYA. But the liquid will not lower the pH, so you will need to lower it to around 7.2ish before raising the FC to shock level.

What do you recommend for adding CYA? The liquid provides quick results but is expensive. Correct? Other than 3" tablets that take a week to give results, what other form a stabilizer is there? Dry/granular?

If I can drop PH at same time as adding CYA, I think I'll go that route. Just don't want to wait a week for CYA to come up using tablets because algea may get started since I have almost no FC.

JohnN said:
Most people use granular, but remember that it can take a week to show up on a test. Add the required amount to a sock and hang it in front of a return. You chlorinate as though the CYA is the level you aimed for.

Can I not do the same thing(hang the sock) with 3" tablets? Or will they disolve even slower than the granular?

Sorry so many questions. But I live 60 miles from this pool and work 50 hours a week also. So I'm trying to find the best plan to keep the pool on track while I work an hour away.

Thanks for the fast replies and help thus far.

Six days since opening the brand new water. Levels have been pretty stable each day. Today levels are as follows:

FC 2.6 CC .2
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 130
CYA 25

I have a couple questions.

Am I ok to continue with attaining and maintaining normal levels now? Or do I need to continue with SLAM?

Obviously, I need to get TA and CH up. Correct?

My CYA is just on the edge of 25-30 and getting off the scale. Should I raise CYA some more or leave it? I'm a little scared to get CYA too high. But also want the FC to last & be stable since after today I can't get out here every day.

Last, do ALL levels need to be in ranges in order to swim in the pool?

Thanks again!!!

I would get your CYA to at least 30. Do you get alot of sun? if you do you can go to 40 - 50. That will help hold FC levels better due to loss from the sun.

I would also get the FC up some too. You can swim then.

Our you done SLAMMING ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Keep the chlorine at SLAM level until: you measure FC right after sunset, and again just before sunrise, and it goes down by less than 1 ppm; CC in the morning reading is less than 0.5 ppm; your water is clear. When all 3 of these things happen at the same time, you can let your FC drift down to its normal range based on your CYA. Your TA is on the low side of the good range, but still in range. You could use more calcium since this is a plaster pool.

I would wait a couple of days and recheck CYA. 30 is low for Dallas, though, if the pool is in full sun. Go for at least 40.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.