Obsolete Filter; Recommendations

Jun 9, 2008
N. Atlanta burbs
Brand new to this forum, so please forgive if I am in wrong topic, etc...

I have a Jacuzzi Tri-Clops filter with 450 sq. ft. (3x150) elements. This is the triangular shaped elements. As I am currently fighting stubborn algae, and considering alternatives; I've learned that I can no longer purchase these cartridge elements, but the dealers will gladly sell me an "upgrade kit" for $400+ to the "new" circular elements with manifolds, etc....

Honestly, if I"m going to shell out these kind of bucks, I would really like to know what my true best approach should be.

With two dogs, who I cannot keep out of the water (sometimes even in mid winter, they just can't resist), is a cartridge filter my best bet? I was told that with dogs that a DE or sand filter might not be a good fit by the pool builder.

So.... if anyone knows where I can get the triangular elements, please speak up, or if you wish to express your opinion on what direction I should pursue, again, please do...

Thanks for your help!

Mac

Mac,

Welcome to the forum. If you don't find the cartridges you're looking for, get yourself a new sand filter....your best bet in the environment you have. Sand is simply more friendly to the load your dogs add to your sytem.

Secondly, get one that's one step bigger than you need....you'll never look back. :lol:

Another vote here for a big sand filter. My cart filter also went belly up this spring and after posting here I bought a 500lb sand filter, as it was the smallest that could accommodate my pump. The owner of the pool store I bought it from asked if I had a commercial pool! Well, after a month I am really digging my little behemoth. My water is at least as clear as with the cart filter and I havent even added any DE yet. We have had tons of rain and dumping a few inches of water takes minutes not the hours it took with the cart. filter. And I am not missing the whole cleaning routine of the carts. Stop the pump. move the valve, run the pump 2 minutes, move the valve, done! Did I mention I'm really digging this new sand filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.