Any point in trying to shock/Slam during heat wave?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I must have algae, or something. So I attempted a slam, but it's mid 90s and I can't even keep it at 10 FC for much more than an hour. Just I just maintain FC at 4, until the heat wave passes?

Since July 14th, I've added over 620 ounces of 8.25% bleach.

I started on the 14th, brushing the pool, testing, cleaning out the inside of the wedding cake steps, etc., etc. The water has been clear for a week as it is. Just residue that rests on the bottom. I'm making progress, but there's no way I can keep the FC at 10, without going way overboard, or camping out near the pool all day.

CC has been = or < .5 for a day now.
CYA @ 15 (added powder to help raise that a few days ago)
Maybe I'll just treat it one last time and see if I can pass an overnight test. I doubt it though, because I still see stuff on the bottom. I'll brush that up and we'll see.

Should I just wait to really slam it?

EDIT: With a FC of 4, I told the kids to forget the pool today (unreal) and just added another 100 ounces, to get it over FC 12. I'll try once more today, so see if an overnight test will work. After that, there isn't much I can do until the sun/heat let up.

It's not the heat. Many people keep pools open for months at a time in the south where the temps are seldom below 90 for any given day. 620 oz is only ~5 bottles of 8.25% bleach. That really isn't that much. I have to add 3+ just to get my pool above shock levels. What is your CYA level?

What is your CYA level? Are you sure your CC is 5, and not .5? If you want the pool clear, you have to SLAM it no matter what the temperature is. I'm not sure how much affect temperature has on bleach usage, but I would guess it isn't as big a deal as you think.

Don't wait, SLAM now. Waiting will only makes things worse.

Make most of the additions in the evening when the sun is off the pool. Try to test/add every hour in the evening. Get in at least one test/add to shock level in the mornings.

Butterfly said:
Don't wait, SLAM now. Waiting will only makes things worse.

Make most of the additions in the evening when the sun is off the pool. Try to test/add every hour in the evening. Get in at least one test/add to shock level in the mornings.

Thanks. I decided to do just that and slammed another 100 ounces in her.

Thank God I work from home!

JohnN said:
What is your CYA level? Are you sure your CC is 5, and not .5? If you want the pool clear, you have to SLAM it no matter what the temperature is. I'm not sure how much affect temperature has on bleach usage, but I would guess it isn't as big a deal as you think.

Sorry, I was editing.

CYA is 15, hopefully rising. Of course that make the shock level higher, which is another reason I'm shooting for 12 and not 10.

The CC was about 1.0, but is now < .5. At one point it was zero, but I slid the steps out and swept inside there. It wasn't as bad the first time I cleaned it over a week ago, but it had green dust puffing as I cleaned. So that brought the FC down in a hurry I'm sure.

I'm having a heck of week here.

Algae, or something, in the pool. For over a week I've been trying a deep clean of the filter, which resulted in sand (I think) in the pool, etc. All in an effort to get the pool clean. Mind you, the water is clear and nice.

My A/C unit needs a Freon charge, but probably has a leak. So it's a delicate balance of where to place the thermostat, so that it doesn't freeze over and stop working. When it does freeze over, I have to raise the thermostat, clean the "ice" of the line, and wait for the until to thaw, then reset it.

Just got an estimate to have a drain cut into my yard. Why? Because neighbors installed some bushes and now runoff is a real issue. We were getting ground water anyway, but for 6 years it wasn't an issue. In fact, the pool actually helped a lot. Not it's $1,800 to put underground landscape drains in. $1,800 and my house/yard won't look one bit better :grrrr:

Lastly, Bronchitis, which began in April. Tried several treatments, all with some degree of success. The last progress we made was when work sent out an email that Legionella had been discovered in the HVAC...nice. I work from home now anyway, but my chest still isn't right. So not only do I wear glasses, I use an inhaler now. I'm gonna get my arse kicked at recess tomorrow, I just know it :roll:

Looking at all of the above, folks have a lot worse problems than I do. But it's been a frustrating week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.