Ist test results with TFT-100

Jun 3, 2008
West Grove, PA
Ok here we go. I ran the initial tests twice to make sure I got relatively close numbers.

FC=1.5
CC=4.5
TC=6.0
PH=7.8
T/A=350
CH=220
CYA=25
Temp=89

Pool seems generally clear, but slight greenish tint, especially from under water. Trouble all last year was that I couldn't seem to keep the FC up to a decent level. It seems to have carried over to this year and maybe I see why now. I beg of you to make me a believer so that I shall never return to a pool store for advice.

Tests seemed to go OK, but I do have an ititial question. When performing the FC test, I added 3 drops til it turned clear. Got distracted for a minute and it went back to pink again. Is this normal? I reran the test again strainght thru and same result. Also, I guess it's a judgement call as to whether you can still "see" the black dot on the CYA test, right?

Kurt

klavant said:
CC=4.5
TC=6.0
PH=7.8
T/A=350
CH=220
CYA=25
Temp=89

When performing the FC test, I added 3 drops til it turned clear. Got distracted for a minute and it went back to pink again. Is this normal?

Yes. Your result is the number of drops required to make the pink initially disappear. The pink color may return if the sample if allowed to sit after that.

klavant said:
Also, I guess it's a judgement call as to whether you can still "see" the black dot on the CYA test, right?

Pretty much, yes.

With CC's that high, there's something nasty going on! If you see green, that's likely algae. (CC's should be kept below 0.5) However, CC readings may be spuriously high in the presence of other oxidizers. Have you used any non-chlorine shock recently?

There's lots of info in this forum on fighting algae. Basically you have to keep the chlorine level HIGH, testing and topping up as many times per day as possible, until the water is perfectly clear and the FC's hold overnight. This should take care of your CC's as well.

Your pH is on the high side and your TA is VERY high. Detailed instructions for lowering TA can be found elsewhere in this forum. Basically you add acid to lower the pH to about 7.0 and aerate until the pH rises to 7.5 or so, then repeat the process until TA reaches the desired level (80-100).

Good luck!!

EDITED by TMQ to correct this statement
giulietta1 said:
Basically you add acid to lower the TA to about 7.0 and aerate until ...
where TA should be pH

Hi, Kurt,

You've got some work to do.......

1. You need to shock the pool to get rid of CC's. Bring your FC up to about 15ppm and hold it there until:

A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

2. Simultaneously with 1) above, bring your pH down to around 7.2 using muriatic and Jason's calc in my sig.

3. You may have to work on Alk a little after that but get those two tasks underway and report your results....you will be surprised at how much your water will sparkle!!

THX for the info. What would be the best place to start? Killing off the algea and dropping the CC or lowering th TA?

I opened the pool two weeks ago and added 2lbs of non-chlorine oxidizer and 2lbs of Shock granules from Leslie's. After that, I started to recognize the sysmptoms from last year. Before that nightmare started again, I ordered the TFT-100 kit and have added nothing more than bleach for the past week or so

Sorry Duraleigh, your reply wasn't there when I started my first reply. Just to be clear, no one should be in the pool while keeping the shock level up, right? Any ballpark idea on how long this may take? Or is it a case by case basis that you just have to wait out.

Just to be clear, no one should be in the pool while keeping the shock level up, right? Any ballpark idea on how long this may take? Or is it a case by case basis that you just have to wait out

Swimming opinions vary. My personal opinion is to go swimming and enjoy. Others suggest a little more caution. That has to be your call.

Keeping the FC up constantly is the key to the fastest way it can be done. That said, it's still a process rather than an event....the average on this forum seems to be several days. Based on your description of your pool water, you might be a little quicker.

klavant said:
Bringing the PH down to 7.2...Is that for the aeration process or that is your suggestion for where it should be on a daily basis?

7.2 on a daily basis is low; your TA is VERY high and you are on the border of being too high on PH. I think he's suggesting the lowering to 7.2 to avoid being too high while you get the other chems straightened out. When all else is good you can aerate. I think 7.5-7.6 is a good daily ph number.

I'm assuming this is what he's thinking?....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used the calculation from Jason's page to determine how much bleach to add. It didn't seem that I'd need that much to reach 15PPM. Since this morning, i've added roughly 5 gallons of 6%. The FC is going up but around 10 is the highest I've seen so far and the CC appear to have gone up tremendously. Before I go any further, am I doing something wrong? I just got out of the pool and definately can smell a funky chlorine like odor. Kinda like old socks. LOL :lol:

Before I go any further, am I doing something wrong?
Did you add the amount of chlorine the calc asked for?

Post a new set of numbers so we can compare (just FC, CC, pH and Alk)

Surprisingly that smell typically needs you need MORE chlorine....Stay the course...this always works :lol:

If there is algae or ammonia in the water the FC will quickly convert to CC until most of the algae is dead or the ammonia converted to CC. You keep adding chlorine to bring the FC level back up to shock level until you actually get there.

I'm doing pretty good with the test kit and am trying to have POP. :wink:

FC=7.5
CC=7.0
TC=14.5
PH=7.3
TA=400 (had some issues with this)
Temp =91 (it's hot here in the philly area!!)

When doing the drop test for TA, the drops seem smaller and come out faster. so I'm wondering if I'm doing it right based on the fact that the results seemed to have gone up.

klavant said:
I'm doing pretty good with the test kit and am trying to have POP. :wink:

FC=7.5
CC=7.0
TC=14.5
PH=7.3
TA=400 (had some issues with this)
Temp =91 (it's hot here in the philly area!!)

CC=4.5
TC=6.0
PH=7.8
T/A=350
CH=220
CYA=25
Temp=89

When doing the drop test for TA, the drops seem smaller and come out faster. so I'm wondering if I'm doing it right based on the fact that the results seemed to have gone up.

Hey, Kurt,

It looks like you need a lot more Chlorine. I'd like to see the FC (not TC) at 15 every time you post.

Good work on dropping your pH and I'm puzzled why your Alk didn't come down with it....that would be normal.

Drop size can be an issue but those drops are the same size as the first time you tested (I hope). Review the test instructions again and make sure your OK with them.

Once you get your chlorine back up to 15 (keeping it there), read this sticky on lowering Alk....
http://www.troublefreepools.com/sticky.php?s=5341

Drop your pH further down to 7.0 and start that process at the same time your keeping your FC up. That should show some progress pretty quickly.

Re: 1st test results with TFT-100

OK, better news. A little time seems to have done some good. I went to work today and left it alone all day. Came back tonight to find:

FC=1
CC=1
PH=7.3

This is progress in my opinion. Tested it twice, 2 hrs apart and received same results. The CC coming down from 7 has raised my spirits. Will Shock again tonight and see if I can get close to 15. I hope this will also drop the CC even closer to 0. Could I assume that the lock has broken or is it too early to be hopeful?

Could I assume that the lock has broken or is it too early to be hopeful?

Hey, Kurt, Very misleading to refer to a chlorine "lock"....it simply doesn't exist. You had a ton of impurities in your water and it has taken a ton of chlorine to (almost) clear them up.

I'm encouraged for you, too. The best thing you can do for your pool is keep the FC up at 15 until.......

A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

Stay the course, :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.