Algea on thermometer rope

If your pool is that nice otherwise, I would chalk it up to one of the mysteries of life and not worry about it. The algae can likely embed down into the filaments of the rope and the chlorinated water cannot get to it. It will have no affect on your pool management.

Thanks for the input. My CYA should be at least 70. I added 14lbs of CYA this year. My Taylor kit reads 55. I can still see that dot barely, but I can see it. For what it is worth, my SWG holds the FC well, but I'm still getting used to it. Pool is in full sun and lots of people swimming multiple times a day. I also notice that sometimes in the screw heads around the pool light I see some algae. I have been shocking about every 2 weeks or so, but it just keeps coming back on these same spots. I am not using algaecide, but I have added borates this year. Anyone else ever see this type of thing? The water is not clouding up at all and there is not any algae in skimmers.

It sounds to me like you need to adjust your target FC up one from 5-7 to 6-8 FC. See if this makes a difference.

It may be that 5 FC is too close to the lower limit for your pool and you are getting very minor blooms.

I get it all the time on the rope and the rubber parts of the steps. I just get a bucket of 50% water/50% bleach. Toss them in there for a hour or so.

Leebo,
You are making me feel better. I'm doing everything I can to keep my pool looking awesome. I do notice it a little bit (with goggles) on the ladder steps because they are very porous. At least, at this point I know I do not have to shock the pool again. I will just brush the few spots as needed and see how things go. Thanks for all the help. I think it might be more likely to happen in a vinyl pool because there are sometimes rough seems or folds of vinyl that will allow the algae to grow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leebo said:
I get it all the time on the rope and the rubber parts of the steps. I just get a bucket of 50% water/50% bleach. Toss them in there for a hour or so.
Float the thermometer in the LQ (if you have one) for a while. Already have a highly chlorinated solution there that is safer than straight bleach to handle.

David
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.