To backwash or not to backwash -- that is the question!

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Is it true that your filter (I have a sand filter) works better when it's dirty? And that you shouldn't backwash until the pressure gauge reads 10 higher than normal? I've been backwashing whenever the pressure gauge goes 5 higher than normal, but maybe I should wait. (Lots of rain here, so water level isn't a problem.) Also, if I don't backwash at least once when vacuuming, I seem to have worse suction. I always thought that was because the filter was clogged, but maybe there's another reason?

Thanks for your help ...

It can filter finer particles when slightly dirty. If the flow drops, your circulation won't be as good, but it will clean the water it does filter.

singerteacher said:
Is it true that your filter (I have a sand filter) works better when it's dirty? And that you shouldn't backwash until the pressure gauge reads 10 higher than normal? I've been backwashing whenever the pressure gauge goes 5 higher than normal, but maybe I should wait. (Lots of rain here, so water level isn't a problem.) Also, if I don't backwash at least once when vacuuming, I seem to have worse suction. I always thought that was because the filter was clogged, but maybe there's another reason?

Thanks for your help ...

A slightly dirty filter works better than a perfectly clean one. The 10 psi rule for backwashing is a rule of thumb. For your pool, it might be 5, 8, or 12. Experiment a bit; try going to a 10-psi increase before backwashing and see how your water looks. Note the pressure at the returns. Just after backwashing, your pressure at the returns should be good. When the flow from the returns becomes weak, that is a sign that your filter needs cleaning.

You might want to try vacuuming to waste. . . then what you vacuum won't go thru the filter and you won't have to backwash it. Just a thought.

Don't you lose a ton of water when you vaccum to waste? I do'nt see the value in that but I'm just a newbie so I don't know much. I just backwashed my D.E. filter last night and it was amazing how much pressure I was getting at my returns. I didn't realize how bad I needed to backwash.

neckbeardus said:
Don't you lose a ton of water when you vaccum to waste? I do'nt see the value in that but I'm just a newbie so I don't know much. I just backwashed my D.E. filter last night and it was amazing how much pressure I was getting at my returns. I didn't realize how bad I needed to backwash.

After the cover comes off (Link-Loc), the pool is completly full from snow and spring rains. I start the pump and add a large amount of shock to the water in the evening, let the pump run for a couple of hours in recirc and then shut the pump off. Next morning I vacuum to waste; even thou I can't see the bottom; until the water level comes down to about were it should be. Even thou you can't see the bottom, you know where the main dirt piles and junk will lay. Also, I am only using the sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.