pump timer

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
I have my pump plugged in to a twist lock outlet and I just turn on a switch above the outlet to operate the pump. We would like a timer though. I have done some looking online for a timer that I could just plug in and found one with the twist lock receptacle but reviews said that if your pump is over 1HP (mine is 1.5) then the timer quickly burns out. Is there another timer someone could suggest to me or should I just call an electrician, or pay the neighbor's kid to come over and turn the pump on and off while we are on vacation.

The timers that linen recommended will work, but will require you to hardwire you pump.

I would replace the light switch that controls the outlet that the pump is plugged in to with one of these timers:http://www.intermatic.com/Products/Timers/InWallTimers/Electronic_Timers/EI600_Series.aspx

For 240V, it says this timer will support up to a 2HP motor. If you know how to do electrical work, these are easy to install. If not, I think you could have an electrician install it relatively inexpensively.

Charlie_R said:
Who says using an intermatic timer would require hard wiring?

The twist lock outlet can be wired through the timer with no problems. I'd label the outlet with a note that it is on the timer, though.
That would be the easiest. Plus if it's a single twist lock plug it should be the only thing plugged in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.