New Liner, New Water, Mysterious Bromine???

mlyle11

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2011
Central Illinois
Just got my new liner in and will reach operating level soon. 13 years on the old line with no leaks or stains! It was wrinkled a bit, and my CYA was very high (first 10 years on pucks - never again), it was just time.

Now the mystery. I have totally new city water straight from the hose. Just did a quick strip check, and to my surprise there seems to be Bromine present.

Bromine: 5+ PPM
Chlorine: 0
Ph: 7.8
Alk: 50

Do you guys think I really have bromine? I know these are cheap test strips (I have the TFP kit as well), but I know the old water registered 0 bromine. Drinking water sanitized with Bromine? So I filled a glass of water our of the kitchen faucet... same numbers as above! Must be the strips or some reaction with the city water?

I will get some better strips. And will use my Taylor drops when I get home. Just wondering if anyone else has head to Bromine being present with a new fill.

Thanks!

Happy Splashing!

Mike

Usually the chlroine and bromine test is the same with just a scale difference. I would suggest throwing the strips away and DO NOT buy more since strips are worthless. You have the best kit available, trust what the TF100 tells you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.