Replace motor or entire pump?

May 30, 2013
Southeast PA
Pool is about 20 year old Anthony pool. The pump cut out today. It felt really hot and I was able to start it again for a few minutes before cutting out again. Should I replace the motor, repair it, or just get a new pump/motor assembly?

Current pump: A.O. Smith SQ1202 2HP Single Speed pump
oTXcaYz.jpg

A7EKQZu.jpg

uYLDHyF.jpg

fmeMLat.jpg

dBhwkqD.jpg

Any reason why I shouldn't attempt to DIY this fix? I'm open to pump suggestions, preferably something I can get shipped overnight from Amazon due to the heatwave :grrrr:

Is that pump made of metal? If the pump itself is not leaking, then replacing just the motor would be fine ... I would suggest looking for a 2-speed motor though so you can save money on electricity when the high flow is not needed. Just run on low most of the time and switch on high for the spa, backwashing, vacuuming, etc.

You have a 2HP with a 1.3 SF = 2.6 SFHP ... that is what you want to match. And any pump that big is going to be 230V so you are good there.

All the links you provided appear to be correct ... a standard efficiency, high efficiency, and 2-speed. Honestly the prices are a little higher than I expected for the 2-speed, but that is a LARGE motor.

Don't forget you willl also need a new seal kit ... at least the shaft seal.

This assumes that you actually need the 2.6 SFHP for your spa, if you wanted to save a little money and did not mind the jets being a little weaker, then you could look for a lower HP motor and also replace with a smaller impeller.

Thanks for everyone's help. I went with the exact same motor. The only problem I have now is determining the correct shaft seal and flange gasket.

The current shaft seal looks similar to these 2: PS-100 & PS-200. How do I know which one or should I just try the local pool shops?

I'm also in search of the paper gasket. If I can't find one, I'll probably try to make one using the gasket material at the autoparts store or just use RTV Silicone.

Old Gasket:
QuoMvPZ.jpg

Impellar assembly:
Zq2Wxtq.jpg

0saPUWb.jpg

MmzJFk2.jpg

How did this work out for you, @genepool? I have the same old motor (SQ1202) which runs us about $75 per month in So. Cal. I am curious if you noticed a marked decrease in your electric bill even after replacing with the same model... just a couple of decades newer.

In any case, we are looking to swap out the motor to get some energy/$$$ savings.

harcosk said:
How did this work out for you, @genepool? I have the same old motor (SQ1202) which runs us about $75 per month in So. Cal. I am curious if you noticed a marked decrease in your electric bill even after replacing with the same model... just a couple of decades newer.

In any case, we are looking to swap out the motor to get some energy/$$$ savings.
If you are replacing the motor and want electrical savings, then you should get a 2 speed motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.