Need help Understanding my Pool Plumbing ....

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, it appears you have 4 suctions lines in front of the pump. It looks like you have ID'ed 2 of them. Best way to figure out the others is to turn the valves to see where the water comes from. Guessing: The bottom right is to the floor and the top one is to a dedicated suction cleaner port?

Then on the return side you only show 1 valve ... so if one side is the Spa, then clearly the other side is to the pool

Note that currently the spa appears to be fully closed on the return side, but partially open on the suction side, which may result in draining the spa.

thats the weird thing the spa is not emptying at all ? something not making sense .... i want to only use pool drain and circulate water in the pool im trying to drain the spa
to work on it and cant do it.... every thing i have tried the spa still fills up via jet .... i can get it halfway down but still cant shut the return off for it ?????????

Is all the water returning to the spa? What happens when you turn the return valve 180 degrees? If you are getting water to the spa on both configurations, then maybe the valve is leaking.

You suction side valves are in all kinds of weird postions. I would suggest isolating a single line to confirm what they are and label them ... realize that the handle points to the OPEN pipe ... or said another way, see that opposite the handle is labeled as CLOSED.

I try to get all valves every way possible to isolate the spa but seems to always have a return going to it ..... is that normal or should i be able to isolate the spa in typical setup ?
if there was a leak wouldnt i notice it with lots of water loss cause thats not happening other then ususal ? I am in vegas its 110 every day now .....

The return lines and suction lines are independent.

I was suggesting figuring out the return lines since there is only 1 valve. In one of the positions ALL the water should return to the pool and in the other ALL the water should return to the spa.

Then try to figure out the suction valve ... yes you should be able to set 100% suction from spa and 100% return to the spa so that you can heat only that water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try adding numbers to your valves with a sharpie and make a chart of what happens when you move each handle (one at a time) until you figure it all out.

It can be confusing to track all the changes you make

So, if you started with valve #1, what happens with the handle in position A? (write down what you see or hear), B?, C?

Work you way thru the valves. Be careful some of the positions may have undesired effects.

Maybe this will help the pros understand ... WHEN I TURN OF THE PUMP THE SPA CONTINUES TO FILL UP ???? LOGIC says its gravit fed then right and the jet of water is a back up safety so spa cant be drained and burn out the pool like i did the my step dads spa 10 years ago when he was out of town and i had a pool party .???/

I am guessing that one of the return jets in the spa is actually plumbed into the pool return jet loop as a was of ensuring that the spa spills over in Pool mode.

What happens when you turn the return valve to 100% spa? I would guess that return jet you see will stop and the others will turn on.

This is not a normal method of acheive spa spill over as it appears to give you no control over the amount of spill over.

Your return valve might be positioned so that even when the handle is set to off, there is an opening to let some chlorine circulate in the spa. If you remove the eight bolts on top, you should be able to carefully disassamble and re position the valve so it closes all the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.