Is this algae?

May 21, 2013
Hi All:

In-ground pool, 73.000 ltr (20.000 US gallon), Salt Water Generator, Sand Filter, tiles, cover.

I had a guy maintain the pool the past year and half but since last October I have been maintaining it myself. I had some trouble keeping my FC in the charts (the test strip would always be white, indicating no FC at all) but I have added some cyanuric acid and now FC is within limits.
Both pH, FC, Combined Chlorine, and TA are within limits. I have never used algaecide in my pool.

However, a couple of weeks ago, I started seeing something that resembled sand in pool. I thought it was coming out of the inlets. Since my pool is always closed with the cover except when used, i know it was not coming from outside (e.g. Pollen). I would clean the pool and close it and it would reappear when i re-opened it.

Eventually i managed to scoup some of this into a small bucket and took it out. Its soft to the touch (so it points to algae) and its color is brownish-reddish.. I snapped a few pics of this algae..

I used algaecide and tried to keep the FC levels normal but that thing wont go away.. I can say that it slowed down the growth, but it keeps coming back... based on my research, it looks like its mustard algae.. any ideas?

Many thanks
Andreas

Attachments

• Algae.jpg
    Algae.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 127
I agree likely algae, you should also invest in a good drop based test kit, I am not sure where your located so it is hard to suggest specifics, but if available I would suggest either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100, test strips are unreliable at best and completely misleading at worst, as their ranges are just too wide, and results are often too inconsistent if you are not very careful about testing.

Ike

A full set of test results would help :testresults:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Algae feels slimy, sand/dirt feels gritty, pollen feels soft/squishy.

Pollen is often mistaken for mustard algae, since it often collects in very similar looking patches. Mustard algae tends to grow on the walls and floor of the pool on the shaded side. Pollen can look very much like mustard algae, but it will only settle on the bottom of the pool, not the walls, and appears everywhere, not just on the shaded side. Another way to distinguish between the two is that when you go up to shock level and brush the pool, mustard algae won't come back as long as you stay at shock level. Pollen continues to accumulate, even at shock level.

Thank you all for your responses. I live in Nicosia, Cyprus (I bet $1 that most of you are jumping on a second window to Google this place :-D )

Just a few comments on what was said:

- Unfortunately I do not own a proper test kit such as the K-2006. I read about it, but most of the US sellers will not ship it over (the ones who do, charge the same amount as its value for shipping).

- I did not include values for FC, pH, TA etc, because I simply check if the color is within the limits. I can't remember the actual values.

-Butterfly: I have now confirmed that it is algae, so what i need to do is treat it properly

- Techguy: You said to use chlorine in liquid form. I dont think i can find this at the pool shop but i read about getting it from a supermarket (as long as I choose the one that does not contain any additional additives). Is that what you meant?

Many thanks to all
-Andreas

Yes, here liquid chlorine is chlorine in a water solution with 10-12,5% chlorine by weight. We also have bleach which is the same with a strength of 3 to 8,25%. Most of the makers we recommend have the strength labels on the side of the bottle. We find if the maker does not label it, it means it. Is very low.

Chlorox is the largest maker here.

athan01 said:
- Unfortunately I do not own a proper test kit such as the K-2006. I read about it, but most of the US sellers will not ship it over (the ones who do, charge the same amount as its value for shipping).

-Andreas
I have sent you a PM with details of a supplier who did ship to me here in Italy at a reasonable cost. You have to email though and ask, their system does quote high shipping prices.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.