New Intex Sand Pump & SWG troubleshooting

Jul 10, 2012
NE Ohio
I just set up my intex pool from last year with the new goodies, an Intex Sand Filter and Intex SWG.

I'm feeling kind of dumb with the new set-up! :?

The first day was great. Noticed a huge difference from last year!

Second night the sand filter and swg ran we heard the swg alarm going off. Low Flow. The water level was nearly under the outlet hose. The pump was pouring water out around the 6-way and the pressure was in the high red. We shut it all off and and closed the plungers to stop losing water.

Third day, we ran it and about two hours in the same thing happened, only we noticed sooner, so we didn't lose water or get the alert from the SWG.

Next day two hours into it the pressure did the same thing, only this time it was followed but a nasty squealing noise.

Today we ran it for about two hours and it did the same thing, 2 hours, high pressure, leaking, noise.

Any ideas on what am I doing wrong here?

Hubby was the one that hooked it up. Both Filter and SWG were leaking. We had to unscrew and reconnect everything before tightening everything with tools.

I'm going to ask a really silly question, or two, but I think they're definitely worth checking. :)
Is the filter multiport set to "filtration"?

Also, is your SWCG the last one on the chain before the water returns to the pool and the pump is 1st where the water is pulled out of the pool, with the filter in the middle?
Also, check your in and out lines to be sure nothing is swapped anywhere.

I took a video of the setup and that noise. It's dark out, just waiting for the video to upload to youtube....

techguy said:
Can you take a photo of your pool/pump/filter/SWG/pool setup? Back far enough to see all of it at once.
Could not get a picture far enough back tonight but will get one in the morning.

Thank you all for helping. Love this place!

y_not said:
I'm going to ask a really silly question, or two, but I think they're definitely worth checking. :)
Is the filter multiport set to "filtration"?
Yes :)

y_not said:
Also, is your SWCG the last one on the chain before the water returns to the pool and the pump is 1st where the water is pulled out of the pool, with the filter in the middle?
Yes, that's the lineup we have! Pool sucking out (lower pool hole) -> into the sand pump -> into the SWG -> then out the higher pool hole. Both plungers are also open.

y_not said:
Also, check your in and out lines to be sure nothing is swapped anywhere.
LOL made that mistake and caught as soon we started it the first time! :) The SWG flow tube was reversed. Silly hubby! :hammer:

HAHA, no worries, anyone could goof up those connections on their 1st try. Hey, even professionals make mistakes sometimes, even rookie mistakes. ;)
Thanks for the video, quite usable, despite being dark. I see kitty wanted to help, or see what was up. :)

1st thing, your tank o-ring that sits between the MP valve (6-way) and the tank is either missing, damaged or you left the sand shield in place, which should be removed after adding sand, that's used to aid in centering the center stand pipe while loading the sand. It should not be leaking water there at all.

Shutdown the system, close the valves on the pool return and inlet ports. Take the head off of the tank and inspect the sealing grove on the underside of the MP. Make sure the gasket is there and intact /w no damage. Inspect for and remove any dirt or sand from the seal, seal groove and mating surfaces. Check for any obviously protruding casting lines that may have sharp or rigid edges preventing a proper seal, gently file them down, or cut them. Doing so such that you're far away from the o-ring that could accidentally be nicked by the slip of a knife. The thin little lines can be ignored, I'm referring to anything majorly obvious and in the way. Like the thorn in the giant's foot. Gently remove and inspect the seal if need be, don't nick it when removing it. Also go ahead and give it some clear silicon grease lubricant. Do not use any petroleum based lubes. They destroy the rubber seal.

Next, check to be sure you didn't leave the sand shield on top of the tank, if so, remove it or it won't seal properly. Check that your sand isn't above the max fill line stamped on the side of the center stand pipe, also be sure It's at or above the minimum line.
Next, reinstall the MP, making sure the stand pipe lines up properly with the hole in the bottom of the MP and that it seats correctly. Push down, making sure the 2 sealing surfaces between the MP and tank contact properly. No uneven contact, etc..
Bolt it back togethr with the tank collar, double check everything is tight, but not overtightened.
Fire it back up and see if at least the tank leak issue is resolved.

As for your plumbing, it all seems fine.
I have lots of SWCG tips for you, but that can wait until your pump is working. Speaking of which, until you get your pump working, you need to stay on the chlorine. You should be testing daily, manually dosing with bleach and brushing the pool to mix until you get circulation going again.
You do have one of our recommended test kits, right?

Thanks for hanging in there with us, we have got ya covered! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Intex Sand Pump & SWG troubleshooting

Valve
It also looks like there is water going out the exhaust/backwash you should be able to take off the cap and not leak
The rubber seal came off mine and was doing the that also.
It happened when I backflushed without turning off pump...oops

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Leaking has stopped and the noise has not been back so far...! Huge thanks to y_not for all the help! :party:

Not sure what was causing it but we emptied the sand out and started all over using the tips you gave. Worked!

Awesome possum! Glad to hear it! :mrgreen:

I'll be on later to give you tips on your SWCG. In the meantime, have you read pool school and do you have one of our recommended test kits?

BTW, I absolutely love your avatar! Did you draw it?

Enjoy!
Tony

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.