how much do you pay for borax?

Jun 17, 2013
chicago
i need to pick up some borax and im getting some random stuff from amazon tonight and i see they have it for $11 for a 76 oz box. i havent had to buy it yet (my ph is slowly dropping, but not low yet, so i need to get some this week) and i havent gotten around to looking at what the price is at places like walmart. nowhere online has prices, they say only available in store. just wondered what the going rate is for a box of this stuff.

Most people don't need borax (or baking soda for that matter) unless they are using trichlor pucks or dichlor to chlorinate.

What is your ph and TA?

Usually you can get that box at walmart for quite a bit less than that.

really? i though thats what the whole BBB method was based on, bleach borax and baking soda?

my ph is 7.2 currently but slowly dropping from 7.6 over the past 11 days. i just filled my pool on the 1st and i am using pucks at the moment plus a little bleach to keep my pool between 2-3.

TA was 130 last i checked a couple of days ago.

i have a whole thread about it incase you are wondering why im doing it that way. its long and i seem pretty dim witted in it. but basically i was advised just to use 7 pucks and then stop and switch to bleach strictly so i would have enough cya. and add a little bleach as needed to get up to 3. ive used 3 pucks so far, so only 4 more to go.

heres a link if you feel like looking and are mystified why im doing it this goofy way.
pool-is-up-but-test-kit-isnt-here-yet-what-to-do-t64815.html

and yea i figured borax would be cheaper at the store. amazon tends to have good prices on everything except stuff like that. just wanted to double check and maybe save myself a trip to the store if it was the same price.

Once you are done using the pucks, then it is likely your ph will start going back up, so I wouldn't invest much money in Borax for now.

Most BBB method users use two chemicals (well three if you include cya, but that is really just used at the begining): Bleach and Muriatic Acid...but of course there are exceptions.

linen said:
Once you are done using the pucks, then it is likely your ph will start going back up, so I wouldn't invest much money in Borax for now.

Most BBB method users use two chemicals (well three if you include cya, but that is really just used at the begining): Bleach and Muriatic Acid...but of course there are exceptions.

ok, i wont worry about too much for now then. now if i do need to use it in the future...do i just dump the amount according to the calculator in front of the return jet? or do i hang it in a nylon or something? figured i would ask now so i dont have to start a new thread later just for it lol.

Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return with the pump running.

With a PVC pool, do not "dump" any dry chemicals into the pool. I can damage or destroy a liner (the voice of experience). Also, adding the to the skimmer is almost never a good idea.

Pools school lists how to add chemicals... or do a quick search here at TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.