Need help understanding my pool plumbing

dshuster

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Hunt Valley, MD
I am very confused about the pool plumbing and was hoping someone can help me figure it out. I am attaching four pictures showing the layout.

The first picture called Big Picture.jpg has on the right which I called "Pool Equipment Area 1" the filter pump, de filter and polaris pump and all of this equipment is below the in ground pool. The left side which I called "Pool Equipment Area 2" used to have a chlorinator which was disconnected by the previous owners but am not sure what the valves do and what they control.

The second and third picture respectively called "Pool Equipment Area 1a.jpg" and "Pool Equipment Area 1b.jpg" show a more detailed picture of the equipment in Pool Equipment Area 1.

The fourth picture called "Pool Equipment Area 2.jpg" shows a more detailed picture of the equipment in Pool Equipment Area 2 which are the valves and where the chlorinator used to sit. All of this equipment is the same level as the pool.

What I am trying to figure out is how Pool Equipment Area 2 is plumbed?

Does this plumbing go to Pool Equipment Area 1 or back to the pool?

How can I figure out where it goes to the pool? (Side returns or floor returns) I have three floor returns in the pool. I do not think they work because I do not feel anything coming out of them but I do feel something coming out of all the side returns.

Any help on trying to figure out how to diagnose the problem would be great. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how this is all laid out.

Thanks
-Dimitry

Attachments

• Pool Equipment Area 1a.jpg
    Pool Equipment Area 1a.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Pool Equipment Area 1b.jpg
    Pool Equipment Area 1b.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Big Picture.jpg
    Big Picture.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 171
The pool does have a spa with picture attached below. I did figure out after a couple of days that the rusty brown thing was an air blower. When I get home tonight, I will post a picture looking down at area 2.

The valve in picture 1a controls whether the water goes to the pool or spa so I did figure that out. The valve in picture 1b I know also controls whether the intake comes from the pool or spa. The three way valve in picture 2 is what is puzzling me. When I turn it one way or another, it does not seem to do anything. I thought maybe it was my floor returns in the pool but I did not feel any water pressure coming from the floor returns. When I turn the valve to any position other than the way you see it, water begins to leak out of the side of the valve as if there was a pressure release valve inside it. Any other tests I can try to diagnose where it goes?

Thanks
-Dimitry

Attachments

• P1000896 (640x480).jpg
    P1000896 (640x480).jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 143
Is there a grease cap on the side of that 3-way valve. If so you may need to replace the o-ring in it. If there's not, maybe there should be. :)

Have you tried running the blower with the valve in different positions?

So the pool guy came today and we figured out that the plumbing from picture 1a (pool side where polaris pump sits) goes to picture 2 where chlorinator used to be. It then splits between floor returns and wall returns on the pool. The question then becomes is it better to have the water return through the floor returns or wall returns or have the valve at 50/50?

Thanks
-Dimitry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.