Intex SWG leaking

Jun 10, 2012
Pennsylvania
We got our first pool (in signature) last summer and started with the SWG right away. Everything has been great until today. I got home from work and noticed a puddle of water around the SWG. We finally have some dry weather, so I found it rather odd to see water there. I wiped the whole thing down to try to see where the water was coming from. While doing that, I noticed a bunch of what I will call "cracking" around the electrolytic cell. I'm not sure how else to describe it. It looks like cracks but I can't tell if it is all the way through the housing or not. It is dripping, about 1 drop every 10 seconds or so, from the bottom of the cell. It is hard to tell if it is coming from the seal at the end of the assembly or if it a result of the "cracking." By the time I was done it was too dark to get a good picture to explain what I'm talking about. I looked up the part on the Intex website and it is $80! So I pulled out the manual and read that there's a 2 year warranty, so I'm hoping to get it replaced under that, but the part was out of stock on the Intex website, so I'm not very optimistic about being able to get it replaced. Of course by the time I got in it was too late to call them, so that is on the agenda for tomorrow. I am highly doubting they will send me a whole new unit if the part isn't available, so now I'm trying to figure out how best to try to seal up the cracks for the worst case scenario. Any recommendations?

I guess while I'm on the phone I might as well file a claim for the sand filter I just got this year as well. After some heavy rains the pressure gauge filled with water and is now so foggy I can't even read it, nor do I trust it with water sitting in the bottom of it. Should be a fun phone call with their non-English speaking call center!

Here is a pic of the part from the Intex site to try to illustrate where it is leaking until I can get a good picture.

Attachments

• 11233_6 copy.jpg
    11233_6 copy.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 138
That is the same place mine just starting leaking from, of course i can't find the receipt to file a warranty claim. I tried using silicone to seal it but it doesn't want to stick to the plastic, the water pressure just lifts it right off the plastic and it leaks around the edges of the silicone. I may try to get the silicone off and try some PVC cement to seal it. It's too late in the season to worry about replacing it, although they are pretty cheap on amazon right now.

They ended up sending me a whole new unit instead of just the cell. I was quite surprised. I haven't opened it yet, though. It's not like it's leaking a massive amount, and our pool is always overflowing anyway from how wet it has been this season so I've just been letting it go since we will be packing it up soon anyway. I did take it apart and get some epoxy to try to seal the cracks with. It worked somewhat, but is still leaking. It seems to mainly be coming from the two prongs. The plastic around there is all cracked, though I have no idea how it would have happened. My guess is the sun may have made it brittle. I'm hoping to construct some sort of cover for everything next summer to try to protect all the plastic.

The seam on the top of mine i can actually see that it looks cracked and it runs up between the 2 prongs. I agree with you that its probably from the sun or a combination of any heat from the prongs, the inside prongs are discolored, some type of cover or sun shade probably isn't a bad idea.

I guess Intex didn't ask for the old unit back, i will keep looking for the receipt over the winter and maybe get it replaced. After i bought my sand filter the motor started making noise, i figured i was just going to get a new motor and send the old one back, they sent me an entire new everything and wanted nothing back, so now i have an extra 6 way valve and tank. I am going to try and fix the bad pump, i figure its probably just the bearings

I didn't have to send anything back. I didn't even know they were sending a whole new unit until it showed up. I figured they would just send a new cell/tube for it. It did take a few weeks for it to show up though. When we first got the pool and set it up it was leaking pretty bad with not even an inch of water in it. We looked and looked and looked for where it was coming from and could not find anything, so I figured it was coming from the seam since it was way more water than would come from a pinhole. I called them and they sent an entire new lining without having to send anything back since it was within 14 days of purchase. Of course it was back ordered, though, but in the meantime we did more and more searching until we found not one, but 2 slices about 1" long in the bottom of the liner. We patched it up and haven't had a leak since and now also have a spare liner. While I hate having to call their support line and can never understand the people I talk to, their warranty has been good to us and they have made good on all of the issues we have had so far, so I can't complain too much.

I used the Loctite stuff from home depot that is for plastics (yellowish). It was in the aisle with the caulking and other sealants. Like I said, it kind of helped a little, but it's still leaking. I don't know if I just missed where it's actually leaking from or if it's leaking under it or maybe I didn't give it enough time to cure because I was in a hurry and tend to be a bit impatient. It was only a few bucks so it might be worth a shot. Once we take everything down I may try to seal it up again to keep as a back up in case the same thing happens to the replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.