I need help - Test results and backstory

Jul 15, 2013
Nashville TN
Current test results as of Monday 7/15 5:45pm: the FC is 0-.5 the CC is around 1 TA is 110 PH is under 6.8 - not sure if I did the dosage test correct for adding ph increase product. I kept adding the same reagent until it appeared near 7.2 (was about 10 drops)

My pool size is guestimate... it seems to respond accordingly to the dosages for 15-20k

The pool has not be used all year due to debris from last fall/winter lots of trees around pool and a magnolia. On Fri morning my pool was black and smelled like something dead was in there. I used leaf rake until I could not pull any debris out of it and then got the pump running. After I could run the pump for a few hours without back washing I began to shock the pool as it got dark. When I started, the PH was 7.4 total alkalinity was 0 chlorine was 0 and I could not see the top step of pool. I shocked with 10lbs of shock extra and 5 gallons of 6% bleach, added 100% algae killer shocked again about 4 hours later adding 5 more pounds of shock plus and 4 gallons of bleach and more algae killer 50%. All during this time I had to backwash the pump. I know I lost chemicals but it was so much algae it had to be done I was not getting any filtration or circulation.

A soupy foamy white slurry formed on the surface with big round green/brown paddies (algae) which I skimmed off in intervals for several hours all during the night through the morning. It was basically soup suds and algae.

On day 2 mid afternoon water looked very grey/white hazy still foamy on surface more algae paddie skimming browness. It looked like the top of a vanilla coke float. I checked and FC was very low ( .5 but would increase to 3-5 as it sat. Every 30 seconds it sat there it would get darker. When testing for CC it was off the scale dark purple way over 5-10. PH was below 6.8 which surprised me and alkalinity was still zero. I added 8 pounds of sodium carbonate and 3 pounds stabilizer. Retested shortly after adding the sodium carb and stabilizer and the FC was at 5-10... As if I had just shocked the pool with more chlorine. PH did not appear to move at all.

I retested after another few hours or two as it got dark and the FC was back to barely registering a .5 (but slowly gaining to 5 as it sat) CC still off the charts. PH still way below 6.8? unchanged color. I added another 4 lbs of sodium carb at that time and about 1lb of cya and tested shortly after with similar results ... the FC was up around 5-10 again and PH has not moved.

That brings to today. Monday, This morning tests were FC 0-.5 CC .05-1.5 shocked with 5lbs chlorine granules in front of jets and broadcast into deep end.

When I got home about 2 hours ago I tested the Pool and the test results at the top of this post reflect.

I've got plenty of chlorine granules, bleach and borax. I need help understanding the pool calculator and advice from here.

Thank you for your posts and info posted to the site that I have read to get to this point. It's dark and time for another round of chemicals.

It seems like things are going my way but my filter just can't keep up. It will back flush clear in under a minute but then the flow will slow over the next 5-8 hours. I have been debating in my head whether or not to clean it tonight and adding fresh sand. I figure fresh sand might do the same thing.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Your filter is simply doing it's job.....catching the debris suspended in your pool water.

Changing the sand has nothing to do with that....your filter simply needs you to backwash it every now and then and it will keep doing what it's intended to do.

The intervals in between backwashes will get longer and longer as you continue to remove suspended debris from your pool water.

So according to the pool calculator to get FC from 0 to 10, I should add 2 and 1/2 gallons of bleach to shock and 24 lbs of borax to raise from 6.5 to 7.5 That seems low on the chlorine. Should I double this per shock treatment? my test kit only shows me 5-10 its hard to tell how much higher it goes.

I am only adding 4 lbs of borax at a time and then waiting to test.

if you are using the tf-100 kit (recommended by most here), take your result numbers and insert them into the calculator in the 'now' column. Then, put the number you want to get to in the 'target' column. Then, to the right of each column, you can see what and how much is recommended. I don't know anything about chlorine granules because I only use bleach from the grocery store. At this point, you need to continue to SLAM your pool and KEEP the chlorine level up to your shock level. When I SLAM my pool, I measure the chlorine ppm at least every hour and bring it back up to shock level again and again and again. Keep with it, you will be glad you did.

Sorry I forgot to add CYA to results. I am not sure if I have a way to test that with my kit. TA was 0 before adding any PH affectors. I added CYA and TA jumped after adding only CYA so as far as I understand I started at 0 CYA and added 5lbs to a roughly 16k pool. It says 1lb treats 4,000.

I have not backflushed much since adding it should be close to 30. I remember this dosage 5 years ago when filling 1st time added 5lbs and had it tested at leslies and it was around 30. Does that sound about right to you all? The pool calculator's shock treatment amounts do not change for me when I change the CYA from 30 to 80 or other levels for that matter. I am using poolcaculator.com hit the calculate button. Nothing changes on the chlorine part when changing other lvls.

This whole process I forgot to add stabilizer before shocking the 1st few times and then remembered. Unless tons of chlorine and algaecide affect CYA it should be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.