Air required for X outgassing

May 25, 2007
Is it possible to calculate how much air is needed to outgas X amount of carbon dioxide from a pool? Trying to decide if rigging up something to an air compressor would work better/faster for me, but would like to guesstimate how long it might have to run to get the job done.

It is completely dependent on how the air is injected into the pool. You want many many small bubbles, which can be done with a fairly low volume of air. Meanwhile even a huge volume of air injected as large bubble will have little effect.

[EDIT] Posted the same time as Jason so some information is duplicated. [END-EDIT]

Unfortunately, this is not easy to calculate, but past experience from some pool owners has shown that using an air compressor connected to a nozzle or pipe producing lots of tiny bubbles is extremely effective resulting in a fairly rapid pH rise (I believe noticeable within an hour).

What I have imagined should produce very small bubbles.

Noticeable in an hour? I could deal with that. Just don't want the compressor running all night long and getting the neighbors upset :)

I built an aerator yesterday for my return, but it's still a slow process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.