SWG then what?

itodd

Jul 15, 2013
Gastonia, NC
I have a 14 foot by 4 foot round Intex Ultra Metal Frame Pool. It holds around 4600 gallons. I'm using the filter pump that came with the pool (637R) and I have put in a saltwater chlorine generator. The pool is nearly full with well water. I've added the 115lbs of salt.

The directions say to run the filter pump 24 hours and then turn on the SWG.

Now what? Do I add cyanuric acid after the SWG has run for a few hours?

The pH is low. Will the cyanuric acid lower the pH even more?

What is the best thing to add to raise the pH to the proper level?

Do I add these items one at a time and check the water to see what needs to be done next? I'm afraid that adding one chemical with throw another level off.

Do I need to put in an algaecide?

wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Answers in red below:
itodd said:
I have a 14 foot by 4 foot round Intex Ultra Metal Frame Pool. It holds around 4600 gallons. I'm using the filter pump that came with the pool (637R) and I have put in a saltwater chlorine generator. The pool is nearly full with well water. I've added the 115lbs of salt.

Now what? Do I add cyanuric acid after the SWG has run for a few hours? You should not turn the SWG for 24 hours after adding the salt. You should also be adding CYA right away ... at least to target 40-50ppm to start and then raise up to the recommended 70-80ppm

What is your pH? Yes it will.

What is your TA? Borax affects pH the most.

Do I add these items one at a time and check the water to see what needs to be done next? I'm afraid that adding one chemical with throw another level off.
Have you found and been using the poolcalculator.com? Many thing are interrelated and it is always a good idea to test before adding anything.

We rarely ever recommend the use of algaecides ... especially any that have copper in them.

I suggest reading up in Pool School if you have not already. Since you said you are using well water, you may need to add a metal sequestrant (see article in Pool School)

If you want more details about chemical adjustments, you will need to provide the actual test results ... realizing in advance that we do not put much faith in any test strips or pool store testing.

jblizzle said:
wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Answers in red below:
itodd said:

Now what? Do I add cyanuric acid after the SWG has run for a few hours? You should not turn the SWG for 24 hours after adding the salt. You should also be adding CYA right away ... at least to target 40-50ppm to start and then raise up to the recommended 70-80ppm

What is your pH? Yes it will.My pH (directly from the well) is around 6.8

What is your TA? Borax affects pH the most.My TA is right at 80 ppm

Have you found and been using the poolcalculator.com? Many thing are interrelated and it is always a good idea to test before adding anything. I have not used poolcalculator. I need to go and test my numbers again and write these down.

We rarely ever recommend the use of algaecides ... especially any that have copper in them.

I suggest reading up in Pool School if you have not already. Since you said you are using well water, you may need to add a metal sequestrant (see article in Pool School)

If you want more details about chemical adjustments, you will need to provide the actual test results ... realizing in advance that we do not put much faith in any test strips or pool store testing.

I have cyanuric acid and will work on getting that in the pool before I even turn on the SWG

Your pH is too low, but the TA is fine. Definitely raise the pH using borax in to the 7s ... keep an eye on it as the CYA will lower it again. I would raise the pH first.

Borax as in the washing detergent in the grocery store? How much would I need to add?

I just checked my levels:
PH 6.8 (using the drops and that is the lowest it would read)
TA 80
TH 100
TC 0 (SWG not on yet)
FC 0 (SWG not on yet)
Stablizer: I added a pound to a 4600 gallon pool.

This forum is great to get answers!

THe pool is several inches from being full. Going to give my well pump a rest and finish tomorrow. The filter pump has been running for several hours and will let it run until tomorrow around 5pm.

I would add 4 cups of bleach and work on raising the pH. The pH could very well be lower than 6.8 and I suggest to add the borax and test about 30 to 60 minutes later and adjust again if needed.

ping said:
I would add 4 cups of bleach and work on raising the pH. The pH could very well be lower than 6.8 and I suggest to add the borax and test about 30 to 60 minutes later and adjust again if needed.

I'm guessing the pH is lower than 6.8 also. I actually had some of the Baking Soda Washer Booster so I added 23 ounces.

I will buy some bleach tomorrow and add that.

All of this advice is very helpful!

Beyond the water chemistry stuff, I worked two weeks getting the ground level. We've had lots of rain and it kept filling in my hole but that kept the Carolina red clay soft and I was able to use the "mud puddle" as a natural level. As the water dried up, I was able to determine the high and low points and it is amazingly level. I surprised myself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added 14 ounces of bleach a few minutes ago. I'm going to check the levels and see where I am at with pH and other numbers. I bought some borax today also to have on hand. I think it is going to take a little work to get the pH up. Right now I'm enjoying all the "tinkering" with the water. I have a stressful job and it has been nice (but hard as heck work) getting the pool ready.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.