My first post for water test questions

Jun 9, 2008
Hello , I just started opening our 24 round ag late last week. We had a cover fall in this winter and picked up a bit of leaves and junk. We pole vac and ran our Roboclean to clean up the bottom to get started. The original tests were done with the hated test strips and showed 0 - fc 6.8 ph 20 - ta and 0 -cya.
We brushed and bleached and ran the filter and vac a few more times. Our newest tests are from an HTH 5 test kit after adding 4lbs arm and hammer and approx 4 156oz 6% bleach over 4 days.
FC-9 PH-7 TA-70 and CYA-30-40.
My pool is cloudy but clearing and the biggest question is , how important is the CYA level to be increased. Any help would be appreciated.

If you just added bleach, then I don't think it's possible that your CYA actually went from 0 to 30. I think you better take another look at those test results.

The whole purpose of the CYA is to help "protect" (or stabilize) your chlorine. If you keep it at zero, you will have much more chlorine (bleach) usage. Some people refer to CYA as "sunscreen for your chlorine."

Like everthing else in the world, you can have too much of it also... that's why you have to measure (test) it accurately.

That help?

I think your CYA is fine, I think the first test results may have been "off" because they were from strips which are unreliable.

It sounds like you have a handle on raising your ph/TA.

Your on your way to swimming shortly, I can tell....

Thanks for the fast responses . I believe the change in the cya was due to the strips being wrong , bad or inaccurate. I double check the cya with the tube test and the dot vanishes at actually 30-20 something. My wife cant see the dot at 30-40 but at waist distance in the outdoor light I still see it until about 30 or just below. I never know in what light conditions you should be able to view the dot , because that will greatly vari the reading. Any suggestions on that? I thought the minimum for the cya on a vinyl pool was around 50 ppm so I didnt know if I should add stabilizer as well.

My current tests after another pound of arm n hammer more vac and filter are below.
FC-9
TA-80
ph-7
cya-25-30

I am going out to get things done , but will be back to see if any other suggestions. I really appreciate the help here and hope I can help others in the future.

JC,

Ya'll are doing fine on the CYA test. Follow Waterbear's advice and do the test in the same light conditions each time.

It is an imprecise test and, as a rule, you have no need to be more accurate than + or - 10ppm either way.

Thanks again for the help. I guess in open shade it would be right around the 30-40 mark for the cya, so I will leave it there unless I start having a problem holding the fc in the sun. The water is still cloudy and the kids a patiently waiting for it to clear. I can see the lowest ladder step so it is getting better. Is a water clearing product going to have any adverse effects on any of the water levels? I used a clarifier last year once and couldnt believe how fast it help the filter pick out the coagulated particles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.