Newbie- Starting Pool Install in Georgia

Jun 25, 2013
Hello All- been doing LOTS of reading on this site and have learned a ton...before even getting started. I will be doing most of the install myself (with friends, family, those who feel sorry for me). I'm pretty handy and am confident that I can do this. I just wanted to say Hi! :wave: to all of you as I am sure I'll need to lean on your expertise / experience as I head down this path. Thanks for all the great info.

Trees were removed 2 weeks ago. Stumps ground last Friday. Bobcat work (I hired an expert) starts this week to level a 25" grade. Will start posting pics once the Bobcat work starts. Wish me luck!!

Eric

Welcome and good luck. While you have the time as the build is just beginning, are you doing BBB? Have your "real" test kit already? If you haven't tested the water you are using for fill, I would recommend you test it so you will have a good idea what chemicals you will need when you fill the pool.

Start playing with the pool calculator so you can be comfortable with it so you know what amounts of the chemicals you will use you actually need.

Look forward to the pictures!!

Bob E.

hopefully the weather will cooperate, this past month in georgia has been like groundhog day with all the rain! good luck with the install, it sounds like you've got a good plan in place. the hardest part is getting everything as level as possible. once you do that everything else will go smoothly.

ugafan said:
hopefully the weather will cooperate, this past month in georgia has been like groundhog day with all the rain! good luck with the install, it sounds like you've got a good plan in place. the hardest part is getting everything as level as possible. once you do that everything else will go smoothly.

So true. Looks like we may have some dry hours over the next few days. Hopefully Bobcat work starts Fri/Sat and then I will post some pics.

It's OK to post photos of grass/dirt/dead areas/stump grindings... we like seeing the before without the clutter of construction equipment.

its just fun seeing the process of before and after.

It's also amazing what suggestions come in from people that look at them that will save you time and money. Sometimes it will be simply be a suggestions, other times it will be a glitch in the piping or something else that will save you hundreds later.

Well, the job began as scheduled. The skid steer showed up promptly at 8:00 and by 9:30 it was determined that the tree roots (we had 13 trees removed for this) were too big for the skid steer to dig out. So called the local rental company and had them drop off a mini excavator, which made quick work of the stumps/ roots. Man were they BIG!!! Some were 3-4' in the ground. We got through the rough grade and started cleaning out some left over roots and junk, then the skies opened and rained like crazy...which has been a daily occurrence here in GA for the past month or so. Good part is the rain puddles showed me were the high spots are. It looks pretty rough in the pic actually isn't bad. Nice part about Georgia clay is it's hard as a rock so the foundation is solid.

Can't do much else until this weekend and I am at the mercy of the weather. On the plus side it's given me plenty of time to research other install videos on YouTube and to read up on TFP. I invested in a water level this weekend so I think I am prepared to tackle the vertical supports just as soon as I have the dirt clear and (finally) level.

More pics as we progress! Hopefully we will have it up before end of summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20130720_081940_067.jpg
    IMG_20130720_081940_067.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20130720_103419_113.jpg
    IMG_20130720_103419_113.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20130720_142103_477.jpg
    IMG_20130720_142103_477.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 195

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to throw my 2 cents in first I wish I would have found this site before I put in my pool as I also did everything my self. The only regret I have so far is I wish I had went with some kind of bottom under liner I put the 4 .5 tons of sand as it called for but where i messed up was when i spread the liner out I was in the pool I have tons and tons of foot prints in my liner now only thing I think it will hurt is makes it hard to clean and vaccum. Other then that make sure it level I used a transit made it easy. Also go slow and easy with the wall and make sure there is no wind and it will be a piece of cake.

duckhunter27 said:
Just to throw my 2 cents in first I wish I would have found this site before I put in my pool as I also did everything my self. The only regret I have so far is I wish I had went with some kind of bottom under liner I put the 4 .5 tons of sand as it called for but where i messed up was when i spread the liner out I was in the pool I have tons and tons of foot prints in my liner now only thing I think it will hurt is makes it hard to clean and vaccum. Other then that make sure it level I used a transit made it easy. Also go slow and easy with the wall and make sure there is no wind and it will be a piece of cake.

Thanks duckhunter. I have the same concerns. I have the sand already plus I sprung for the gorilla liner which really isn't that thick, but I am thinking it may reduce footprints while I am putting up the walls, etc. I have read many posts using foam insulation board but I don't know how well that stands up over time :?: I'm definitely not in a rush....I only wanna do this once!

Progress has been made. MAN is this a big job!! I have lost count of how many times we have checked level, dug, check level, dug, measured, check level, dug, etc... It has taken us 3 solid weekends to clear the area, level the pad and install the uprights. The pics do NOT do justice to the amount of back breaking work that has been done. It doesn't help that Georgia clay is hard as a rock this time of year. But it will be worth it in the end :goodjob:. This week I will plumb in the main drains. After that is to lay the tracks, install the wall, lay down the sand & gorilla pad then install liner. Hopefully we can get this done next weekend :whip: Will keep posting pic updates.

Attachments

• IMG_20130804_170418_315.jpg
    IMG_20130804_170418_315.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20130804_170435_036.jpg
    IMG_20130804_170435_036.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20130804_170458_763.jpg
    IMG_20130804_170458_763.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 140
Re: Newbie- Starting Pool Install in Georgia (Updated 8/26!!

This past weekend we made BIG progress. Installed the walls, sand, gorilla liner, liner, cut in main drains, started adding water :whoot: . You know the feeling :party: . Checked on the fill during lunch today and with about 14" so far, I measured from the top rail down and have maybe 1/4" variance from on end to the other...I can live with that.

Tonight I work on the PVC plumbing (I will post more pics of the main drains for those interested), install skimmer box, set pad for pump & filter placement.

Then we backfill & add top seats...construction will be done :cheers: Well, of the pool at least. Then work on the deck begins.

Tomorrow I will take a baseline reading with my TF100 and start treatment right away.

It feels like this has taken all summer, but considering we started a month ago and have had a TON of rain I guess I am happy with the progress. What a job though....don't think I will tackle this ever again :mrgreen:

Hopefully swimming before fall temps.

Attachments

• IMG_20130826_125848_348.jpg
    IMG_20130826_125848_348.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 94
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.