Newbie - sky high TA

I thought you lowered your pH to 7.0, aerated it back up, and repeated to lower TA down to whatever level it needed to get to?

I had to add more tap water today. TA is probably sky high again. I'll know tonight when I get home and test again.

FC 2.5
CC 0
TA 220
CYA 50
pH 7.5

When I went from pH of 8 to about 7 or so the poolcalculator told me 233 oz or so. I dumped a gallon in and it worked. I had about a half gallon in a jug already opened so I dumped that in. It looks like adding the tap water didn't hurt me like I thought it would. I'll keep working on that alkalinity and dump the other 3#'s of CYA in.

I'm almost there.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't measured calcium. I'll have to pull the report from about 2 weeks ago from the pool store. Does Calcium tend to vary much? Adding the tap water 2x now probably did change it.

Any comment on the following?

As of Wed night:

TC 3
CC 0
TA 230
pH 7.4

We swam for an hour and had a good bit of eye irritation. Why? Those numbers look pretty good except the TA.

2nd question, what's the harm of higher TA assuming a vinyl liner? I know it takes more acid or baking soda to move the pH with the high alkalinity but it also takes lots of acid to just bring the TA down. The total amount of chemicals is probaby a push. Just curious.

Thanks for any insight into the two questions.

If nothing is going wrong then there is no need to lower TA just to get to a target number. Typically high TA can lead to rapid PH increases and, if CH is also high, scaling. If you don't have trouble keeping PH under control and CH levels are reasonably low then you can leave TA where it is.

FC - 2.5
CC - 0
TA - 190
pH - 7.5
CH - 240

It looks like things are going well and that calcium is low enough to not be too much of a concern. Is that correct? I'm going to go through about 2 more rounds of acid and aerate to try and get that TA closer to 100. The water was crystal clear this weekend. We spent the whole time in the pool. Those numbers are from Sun night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you get your TA down then a CH level of 400 is fine. But with TA where it is now it might be better to keep CH at 250 or lower. PH, TA, CH, and several other levels, interact to determine the calcium saturation index (CSI), which indicates the possibility of scaling. You want to keep your CSI below 0.6, which can be done in a variety of ways.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.