TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Pool is new this year, and for the first month or so, we were working on getting proper chemical balance. We're just about there now; fine tuning CYA and then everything should be in line with TFP recommendations.

I've noticed that between the water line and top of the pool that I have a slight discoloration (Almost brown?) Hard to tell of the color on the blue pool, but it also continues into the light color skimmer and definitely brown-ish there. You can also feel it - the side of the pool below the water line is smooth, while above is not. It's almost scummy, but it doesn't come off. Tried rubbing it with a finger, brush, nothing. It's not bad, but I don't want it to get too far gone. VERY uniform around the entire pool at and above the water line.

Any thoughts?

Where did your fill water coming from; municipal, well, or trucked in? It sounds like it could be iron staining, if you have vitamin C tablets, hold one against against the stain for 30 seconds. If it lightens or goes away it is an iron stain and you can remove it with ascorbic acid. If it doesn't, then that should rule that out and help narrow down the problem.

Yep, just a vitamin C pill. And yes, as the water ripples it gets above the water line, evaporates, and leaves behind whatever was in it. I don't know if this is the what is happening, but if you can't scrub it off it's worth a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.