Check salt light flashing on Hayward swg but level is 3200

kbp911

Jul 9, 2013
Hello all,
is anyone an expert on the Hayward salt generator system? I have the T-15 cell and keep getting the check salt level light to flash. I know how to reset the instant salt level (move switch to super chlorinate then back during start up) but have to do this each day to trick the system into thinking there is proper amount of salt. This trick only works for a short period then it goes back to reading around 2300 area for salt level.
I have a handheld digital salt meter that was just calibrated the other day and is spot on so I know the cell is telling the board the wrong info.
I also just replaced the main board (for other reasons) but it is doing the same thing the old board did.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Re: Check salt light flashing on Hayward swg but level is 32

I have had similar issues with my Hayward. The problem most likely in the board. Did you have an electrical storm lately? These board are very finicky to lightning. I have gone through a few already.

My first trouble shooting however would be to treat it like a computer and "reboot" the system. shut everything down. All power off, then kill the circuits on the sub panel. Let stand a few minutes and power everything back up. If you still have the problem, then you said you just replaced the board. It should be under warentee.

another question:

how old is the T-15 cell? I got 6.5 years out of mine. Everyone I talked to said that was great. usually they die around 5 years. I forget what the error code was, but now that I'm thinking about it, I think when it went bad, it wasn't reading salt level.

To be honest I have no real way of knowing. I 'inherited' this pool when we bought the pool. If I had to guess I would say it is at least 5 years old. I have the inspect cell light also flashing but have done so several times. Plates inside are clean and clear.

Visually it can look fine. When they go, they go. If you can disconnect the cell and take it to a pool store, they can check it and tell you for sure if it is shot. More I think about it, that sounds like the problem. I know Leslies can do the test if you have one by you.

If you do have to replace the cell, touch base with me first. When I replaced mine last year I went with an after market one that works better than the T-15. (cheeper and better warentee too). The cell is see-through so you can see the chlorine gas pumping out when filter is running. very cool.

mikemass said:
If you do have to replace the cell, touch base with me first. When I replaced mine last year I went with an after market one that works better than the T-15. (cheeper and better warentee too). The cell is see-through so you can see the chlorine gas pumping out when filter is running. very cool.

mikemass can you tell me what you bought? I have no problem with aftermarket parts in fact the pump isn't a Hayward pump anymore.

Thanks!

ok. I sent you a Private Msg with link of where I bought my replacement. Did you bring the cell to a pool store and have them test it and confirm it is dead?

When/If you buy a replacement, here's a bit of advice. Save your old one that is dead. It can be used as a place holder while you disconnect the new one to clean, service, etc. This way you can run your filter while you have to service the other. Another thing I do now is completely disconnect everything for the winter and store in the shed. Pumps, Valve Actuators & now even the cell. I believe the elements are just too harsh. So I use the old, broken one to hold the place in the pipes. Now I can blow out the lines with the old one in place while keeping the other protected indoors.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.