Is this cost reasonable?

Jun 11, 2013
We're looking at building a concrete lap pool; 12x50x4 or 4.5 with a shallow L or T section of about 8x8. The pool construction rep quoted on the spot. Just ordinary equipment; sand filter, 1.5 single spped pump, standard lights, etc. He quoted $50,000. I was expecting more like 35K. He figured the concrete cost based on the surface area.

Also, Any opinions about the dimensions?

Thanks,
Fred

Fred, there is a lot that goes into a quote such as what quality of equipment, size of filter, type of decking, automation, etc... Best thing to do is first to decide what you want in your pool. There are many treads in here of new pool builds and equipment treads that can give you many ideas, such as do you want SWG, infloor cleaners or suction cleaners, sand filter vs cartridge vs DE filters, ozonators or not, variable speed pump vs single speed, Pebble interior vs plaster, etc... There are advantages and disadvantages to each choice which you can readily find in this forum. Next step is to then get several quotes from reputable pool builders with emphasis on reputable. Research the BBB and your ROC board to make sure they don't have a lot of complaints. Then compare the quotes and make sure that they are comparing apples to apples.

That said, 50K seems to be a lot for a basic pool. For 55K here in Phoenix, we got a quote for a pool with a spa with heater, vs pump, LED lights, Pebble Sheen interior, grotto and slide, acrylic decking.

Le.

Well, the Oil boom is on here in Texas, and we are hearing figures of 55-60. We just got our first "propsal"... not yet in writing, but they want 55K for a basic kidney. It would be 36x18, 3-8.5 deep and a diving board. Basic coping, very minimal kool dek, minimal automation, i.e. pressure cleaner, and no spa. That is with a quartz finish, but precious little else. I hear this price is getting you pool+spa+oudoor kitchen and extras in the Dallas area. We have very little competition to choose from here and they are treating everyone like they have "Boom Buckage". It is really disheartening to hear these figures they are throwing at us. Jeez! Yours sounds pretty in line with what I hear. What part of the country are you in? On your dimensions, do you have a long skinny space to work with I guess?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Most of the builders here in Houston seem to be saying "starting at $50k"...
I don't know where you are and if it affects you but I was told there is a premium for going over 115 linear feet as it involves pulling an additional permit/inspection here in Houston (I forget exactly but what is required but the linear footage is right).

Guys, thanks for the comments. Yes I probably would go for some upgrades like SWG, cartridge filter, etc. I was just asking was that price in the ballpark as a basic system. The upgrades are of course extra. This rep has been in the business a long time. He said in his opinion that VS pumps dont pay for themselves with Kw= 10 cents, maybe not even two speed pumps. He said corrosion w/ salt systems is not talked about much. I asked if there were any opportunities for me to do anything to cut costs and he said I could buy and supply any equipment that I wanted to but they would not touch it -- I would have to install it. A definite option as I might could get my upgrades for free.

Yea, that seems about right then with what we are hearing. I think he is wrong about the VS pump because it will save money in the long run, even if you have cheap electricity. And if you are willing to buy it and get it put in, the return will be much quicker. One we are awaiting a proposal from knows nothing about VS pumps as he thinks they are all hype. He proposed the old single speed to us and I am not interested in that. 2 speed at minimum. If you look online at the prices of these pumps you will see that the mark up is staggering. Or it is here anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.