pressure

Jul 14, 2013
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. About seven months ago I moved into a place with a pool, so I have been trying to learn things fast. This evening I noticed that my pressure was around 20psi (my local store said that it should be around 13). I did a backwash for about 3 minutes and rinsed for 30 sec. I actually did this twice just to be sure. This lowered my water level below the skimmer so I have brought it back up, but my pressure is still around 18psi. :(

I have also noticed some water coming from around my pump which scares me to death!! :shock:

Thanks, and try to break it to me gently.
--Trident

Your local pool store is full of idiots, normal operating pressure will depend on a number of factors, location of pump and filter, length of plumbing, number and size of fittings, etc. Around 20 psi may be perfectly normal for your pool, it is a bit above average, but not too much. As to the leak you have, if you lowered the water below the skimmer while the pump was running you may have ran the pump dry and over heated it, potentially damaging the pump or partly melting the lines going into it.

Ike

What is your pressure normally? Are you getting normal pressure out of your returns? My filter pressure runs around 17 with a clean filter -this year. My base filter pressure changes from year to year. It depends on how old the my gauge is or how well i clean the filter in the spring. If you have back washed twice then the filter is clean.
As far as the pump you need to figure out where the water is coming from. Is it a fitting, the strainer basket lid, or between the housing and the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.