Two pressure side leaks - am I fixing it right?

csn

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2012
Houston, TX
Hi everyone-

I have two pressure side leaks and what to double check with you guys to make sure I do the right things to fix them.

The first leak is where the pump outflow connects to the pipe work (pic1 and pic 2). Basically, when the pump is on there is continuous dripping out this connection. I felt the pipework above this connection and it's dry, so it's definitely all coming out this spot. Just wondering what you recommend to use to repair this? It wasn't clear to me if I can use something permanent there (glue/epoxy)?

The other leak is at the multiport valve. There is a decent trickle of water coming out the waster water pipe (pic3).
Is the first line of action on this to replace the spider gasket?
Don't ask why the wastewater pipe is open like that - the pool in 30 years old and I only bought the place last year.

Appreciate any insight.

[attachment=2:1ypplgyx]pic1.jpg[/attachment:1ypplgyx]

[attachment=1:1ypplgyx]pic2.jpg[/attachment:1ypplgyx]

[attachment=0:1ypplgyx]pic3.jpg[/attachment:1ypplgyx]

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 68
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 66
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 67
Charlie_R said:
Yes on the spider gasket.

Is there a union close to the pump outlet? If there is, you can try to tighten the leaky fitting. If not, plan on putting one in after you cut the pipe to replace the leaker.

Thanks, I'll get to work on the spider gasket. I think that's where most of my uptick in water loss has come from.

It looks like the thin bit of black pipe might be screwed in to the pump (with some of that dark gray glue/epoxy). Does that make any sense? Can I try my luck putting some epoxy over the connection or is that a bad idea?

Epoxy on that joint is a bad idea, especially if you have to replace any part of your pump. Yes that black section is screwed int the pump, and the dark grey is a sealant putty used when the pipe was installed. It has obviously worn out (yes that does happen) and should be replaced.

Charlie_R said:
Epoxy on that joint is a bad idea, especially if you have to replace any part of your pump. Yes that black section is screwed int the pump, and the dark grey is a sealant putty used when the pipe was installed. It has obviously worn out (yes that does happen) and should be replaced.

Thanks, so does that mean I need to make a cut on the white PVC pipe, the unscrew the pipe from the pump?

I'm assuming at this point I should just buy a new part of the black threaded pipe?

Sorry for the basic questions, this will be my first time messing with the pipe works. I've done a bunch of repair work so far and I think I have the right skill level to do this repair.

Thanks for all your help Charlie. I replaced the spider valve and installed a union before the pump intake and after the outflow.

Now that I've done that I've confirmed my worst night mare... I likely have a suction side leak. Actually two, one on the return from the bottom of the pool (that's the worse one) and a smaller one on the return from the skimmers...

It's probably time for the pros...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.