New here. Best approach to high CYA

Nixid

Jul 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Have visited site often and joined today
Bought a testing kit to confirm pool store analysis.
Have removed tab floater 4 weeks ago due to high CL and low ph
tested today
CL 5+ had been higher have not added any in 4 weeks; Ph 7.2 had been lower; FC 11 CC 1 TC 12 and CYA 300.
On CYA diluted sample to 1/3 pool and 2/3 tap water and it registered 100, 3x = 300
pool store had said 150, but I think that is their top end.

What is best approach? Drain pool and refill? Treat? Saw an ad for reverse osmosis service for poll? Other?

Welcome to tfp, Nixid

Normally the best way is to do a partial drain/refill but since you live in AZ one of the few place that has companies offering Reverse Osmosis pool treatment, you could also look into that. RO treatment will remove cya and other dissolved solids such as CH.

At 300 ppm you will have to drain most of you pool to get down to the recommended 50 ppm.

With water seeming to average about $5/1000 gal around the country, R/O does not seem like a worthwhile option.

Replacing OP's entire pool might be around $200-300 with a series of drain/refills.

15000 gallons here would probably be about 500 bucks delivered. I am in PA not real sure what your water costs. Have a feeling though it is possibly considerably more expensive.

If it would be even as far as costs I would consider RO. If draining water and delivery is cheaper I would go that route, depending how long to RO process took. If RO takes a considerable amount of time, even if it were less expensive I would consider drain and refill ~ I have a very short swim season though, so that's a factor to me, but probably isn't one for you.

Drained and filled pool, thought I would share that water cost $341.01 for the month, 75,000 gallons.
That might mislead the casual reader. Assuming you drained entire pool (although 80% would've been fine) that means your CYA is now zero and the water cost for 40,000 gallons was $182.00 or so...correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nixid said:
Forgot to ask if anyone thought that high CYA could cause some of the pebbles, from the pebble tec, to come loose. If not the high cya what else, seems to be a recent problem.

I could see low pH etching the plaster around the pebbles, causing them to come loose. CYA presence in the water wouldn't cause it, exactly, although as you said earlier, the lower pH could have come from the tablets you had in the floater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.