Is this normal bleach consumption?

kmgt

Jun 18, 2013
I've been BBBing it for a few weeks now (very happily!). Trying to keep my FC at 4 and I'm finding I'm dropping to 1.5 every evening. Then putting in 60oz. to bring me back up for the next day. I know your not supposed to drop below 2. How do I get to that point? Should I bump up to a higher level than 4 in hopes to not drop past 2?

**Water is looks clear, CYA is a little low but hopefully on it's way up. Maybe it will get more stabilized once the "stabilizer" is in there full strength?

CYA level of 30. FC level of 2-6

CYA level of 40. FC level of 3-7

When you dose your FC shoot for the higher end so when you lose FC during the day you won't drop below min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Ok, I didn't do a full test so I don't know them, but so far PH and TA have been in the normal range.

I have new water this year. The PS only gave me a 1.75lb container of granular stabilizer. I added that a few weeks ago. I've also used 2 frog bac pacs (was trying to use them up and needed my cya up anyway). Then about a week ago I added 2lbs of granular stabilizer. After 72 hours, I tested and could still see the dot with a full tube :( Yesterday, I added another 1lb of stabilizer and have not retested yet. So all in all, I have added 4.75lbs of stabilizer, plus whatever the bac pacs added. Some of it may not be dissolved yet?

**I added to the skimmer, per the directions on the bottles. Have no turned off pump and have not backwashed.

***We have had a ******** of rain over the last several weeks. So much so that the skimmer was overflowing for quite awhile. So I think there's been some major dilution. I don't want to add anymore stabilizer until I get a good reading after about a week. I don't want to go too high.

It looks like you have added about 50 ppm CYA, but if you account for overflow it will probably be closer to 40 ppm.
You're only losing about 2.5 ppm FC per day, so that's not too bad. I'd probably bump the FC up to about 6 or 7 ppm each day and see what that does for you.

You may also want to bump the CYA up to about 50 or so once you get a good read on it.

I did a full(ish) set of tests today :)

FC 2
PH 7.4
TA 80
CYA 40! (maybe between 30-40, I was going fast and am a little out of practice reading it).

I need to play with the Pool Calc. a bit and see where I'm at.

So are you saying my results are good, or bad? I know I need more FC. I bump it up every night. And am in the process of figuring out where to bump it to, to keep it above 2/3 at it's low point.

pH and TA are fine.

How high are you bumping the FC at night? At this point it should never get below 3ppm. So, raising to about 6ppm "should" be enough. May want to go a little higher to be sure.

If you are losing more than 3ppm each day, you may consider raising the CYA up a little more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was adding 60oz, so bumping up to 4. So I was losing 2-2.5ppm per day. I'll try bumping to 6. Thank you! Oh and the last dose of stabilizer was only a couple days ago, so it may end up higher. I'll test again after it's been a weak.

kmgt, this is not directed only at you, this is for everyone, but your thread makes it a good place to get up on my soapbox....

There's a weird reluctance on the part of new forum members to shy away from "high" FC levels. I don't know if it's leftover pool store info that hasn't been brain dumped yet, or if it's a desire to be in the middle of a published range, but the FC minimum is exactly that: a MINIMUM! A hard deck. Don't let it get below that. Ever.

We all know that even in a clean pool, FC will be lost during the day to sunlight. Every pool is different, so we can't predict what your FC loss will be. You need to learn your pool, and do whatever you have to do to keep it above the minimum. Dose your pool today so that the next time you dose your pool, whenever that may be, you will always be above the minimum.

I run my CYA at 60, which means my minimum FC is 5. I rarely let it get below 8, and it's usually around 10 or 11. Because I never want to let it get below the MINIMUM. Ever.

Rant over.

Smykowski - Thank you! I never really thought of it that way. I always assumed I had to pick a middle sweet spot and that too much chlorine was bad. I also was under the impression (not sure if I'm right or wrong still) is that BBB is supposed to be a less expensive way of caring for a pool. If i'm dumping an entire container of bleach in the pool everyday (2-3$) then it doesn't seem that much less expensive (over several years, yes).

Your CYA may be a bit low for your pool, so once you get that dialed in, the FC consumption will go down, and you will be adding less bleach per day to stay at the correct maintenance levels. At that point, it will definitely be cheaper. Don't forget that if you (hypothetically) were still on powder or pucks, your pH and TA would be yo-yoing, and you'd have to add even more chemicals to counteract those movements.

pwrstrk said:
pwrstrk said:
CYA level of 30. FC level of 2-6

CYA level of 40. FC level of 3-7

When you dose your FC shoot for the higher end so when you lose FC during the day you won't drop below min.

I caught it Jeff..but smykowski used his hands more in his explanation (like the FedEx commercial) :mrgreen: Not picking on ya kmgt and I'm glad you started the thread :goodjob: It's always a good reminder to keep the FC higher than us newbies prefer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.