FAS-DPD titration test

Ugmul

Jun 13, 2013
Tucson Az
I wanted to question the minds of others when it comes to the Titration test; are you addictive to it?

For my pool, I have the TF-100 test kit, and I do the daily TC/PH test, with the 5 drops of each respectful liquid, but I hate the TC one. The yellows look alike, and unless you have completely saturated white light, I can't tell if its a 3, 4 or 5. Not to mention I try and keep mine at 6-7 with CYA of 50.

Now No matter what I do, I find my take my 10ml of water, dump the powder in the autostirer, and count the drops. Maybe its the engineer in me that just has to know what my levels are in the morning, but I love this test!

Anyone else with me in the "must know" situation!? :)

It takes a lot of practice and better than average color discrimination to read the OTO test between 3 and perhaps 10, which is to say that most people can't tell the difference of any two numbers in that rage. That said, the test is still useful, but in a different way. It won't tell you a specific number, but it will tell you if things are more or less alright or have gone very wrong. To say that another way, if it reads 3+ then we can assume that things are going well, but if it is below 3 then something has gone wrong and needs immediate attention. If you back that up with the full FAS-DPD test once or twice a week and any time there seems to be a problem, you should be fine.

<<<not addicted to it. Since I don't have a SWG and am keeping my CYA at 40 which give me a min/target of 3/5. I did use the fas/dpd test for 3 days every 24 hours to get a baseline chlroine loss. Now I'm just adding 16 oz per day and using the oto test and as long as its at least the brightest yellow I;m good. Then once a week or other week, I will see if my daily addition is taking me too high or if I'm slowly dropping low.If the cover is off for the day or after there has been a lot of activity in the pool when chlorine loss is increased I will get out the fas/dpd to see what i need to get it up to 6 to get back to my 16 oz per day routine.

As far as comparing the colors, my preference is to use my hand and cover everything up and spread my fingers to only see one row at a time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.