Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

High chlorine

Hello,
    I am fairly new to the forum, but have thus far, received great information!
    After my pool turned into a swamp a few weeks back, I followed the directions on this site to clear it up. It now looks great! The water is clear and no algae appears to be back...

The chlorine is still very high. I could take a sample to the pool store, as I dont have the best test kit yet. But the pool store can only meausre up to 5.0 ppm anyway.

Should I try to neutralize the chlorine, if so- how?
    Or should I just let the chlorine dissapate on its own?
    The chlorine has been this high for about 7 days now.

Thanks!!!
    26,000 gallon inground pool & separate spa
    DE filter
    solar heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Welcome to TFP! I'm sure one of the pro's will be along shortly to ask for more details, but your chlorine should dissipate on its own over time.

How high is "high" right now? Are you still adding chlorine via a SWG, pucks or liquid chlorine?

Depending on your CYA level, 5+ ppm might be what you need to maintain anyway which is why a lot of us need the better test kit.
    ~12000 gallon 15x30x4 On-ground Pool
    Aqua-trol SWG
    Polaris 65 Pool Cleaner
    Hayward C500 Cartridge Filter (50 sq ft.)

Working on being troublefree!

3. Back To Top    #3

jillcreyes,

Welcome to TFP!

But the pool store can only meausre up to 5.0 ppm anyway.
    It sounds like this particular pool store is not using the drops-based method (DPD-FAS) of measuring chlorine. You will need to find a better pool store or wait for your new test kit.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

4. Back To Top    #4
    Just let the chlorine level come down naturally. Keep testing at least daily and start adding more when it comes down.

This would be a great time to order a better test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School