Water supply line in my skimmer

SamD

Dec 26, 2012
Double Oak, Texas
I have an in-ground plaster pool that has two skimmers. The other day I noticed a white pvc line that entered one of the skimmers from the top and protrudes about two inches straight down into the tunnel just behind the weir. I then found a pvc ball valve in an in-ground round irrigation valve box in my pool equipment area that sends water to the skimmer. Is this a common solution for refilling a pool? Is this intended to feed a auto fill system? If so, is there a float valve that will not obstruct the skimmer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sam

I agree a standard float valve would be difficult with it coming straight down from the top, but I was thinking a Hudson valve might work. What do you think? I'm not sure the Hudson valve is adjustable the way a standard float valve would be, so the install height would need to be correct for the desired water level and changing it later would be harder.

http://www.hudsonvalve.com/

Sam

This water line looks like it is a 1" line, and I would like to find the best way to replace the manual pvc ball valve with an automated valve that I can connect to my Aqualink RS. Ideally, I would be able to open the valve for a specified period of time and then automatically turn it off.

Sam

I'm not sure this will work the way we thought. I was just looking at the Jandy manual and it looks like the JVA connector is 3 wire with two of the wires controlling the direction of the valve. They have obviously configured these ports to work only with Valve actuators and not simple on/off valves. Jandy has a sprinkler system module that looks like it will do what I want, but is over $100 and overkill for what I want, but it may be the only decent solution.

Sam

I am not sure why you could not just connect 2 of the wires to the solinoid valve and then when the "actuator" was switched in the RS, the solinoid would no longer get power and shut off? Or am I missing something?

I thought one wire is a "ground" and the other 2 provide power (one or the other) for the actuator to move.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is this something you have seen or heard done successfully? If I understand correctly the JVA port on the RS only supplies power on either the open or close wire long enough to open or close the valve, but sprinkler heads require a constant supply of power to keep the valve open. Am I missing something here.

Sam

OK, I think I understand now. Please check my wiring plan.

The JVA port on the Aqualink RS Power Center has three wires which are Red (Switch Leg), White (Switch Leg), and Black (common). The sprinkler head has two wires and one is to open the valve, and the other is common. If this is correct, I think I understand that both the RED and White from the JVA port need to connect to one of the sprinkler head wires, and the Black JVA lead, connects to the other sprinkler head wire. Do I have this correct?

Sam

No. You do not want to connect the red and white wires together. That would supply power to the valve all the time. You have the black wire right. I think it's the white wire that you want to hook to the sprinkler valve. If it's on when it should be off, just switch to the red wire.

Can you confirm if connecting directly to the valve controller worked? I want to try this with a Hayward Proline valve controller and have seen some conflicting responses. 24 VAC vs 24 VDC problems, etc.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.