Skimmer help: What, why, when?

I keep seeing "skimmer" used in many chemical distribution conversations and it appears to be a good tool for better pool cleaning but I can't find much useful info about them.

Needed:
What are they? There are two types that I can see, free-floating and built-in (predominantly used in IG pools it seems).
Why & how are the used?
When are they used?

Purpose:
Our Intex AG pool doesn't have one but it seems they can be bought separately as an attachment. My wife and I are both computer engineering types so we need boring, gory details...really can't have too much information about them. If it's determined I need one then I need to know as much about them as I can so I can make a good purchase.

Why I think we need one:
Our house is almost surrounded by mature Douglas Fir trees (80'+) and they are almost constantly shedding material, particularly needles. Spring time brings lots of pollen -- I've seen the air turn yellow when a gust of wind blows through a large cedar or fir tree. Plus there is a large variety of agricultural farms in the region (fruit trees, wheat, grasses, grapes, tulips, etc.) so pollen season can be drawn out. Just want a low-maintenance method of keeping our pool clean since, somehow :whip: , I'm the person who is going to be responsible for it.

Skimmers draw water through them as it heads to your pump/filter to be recirculated and keeps the water surface clear. They help keep the bigger stuff from ever reaching that system. You still gotta keep those emptied too!

Another item that will be a huge help in maintaining your pool better and easier would be to upgrade to one of the Intex sand filters. I wish I hadn't stuck with the Intex cartridge filter so long. I went with the 2650 GPH model because I wanted to make sure I had plenty of suction for the vacuum, it did not disappoint.

As far as the skimmer goes, it works just like it's name implies. It "skims" water from the surface. Most of the debris that get in your pool spend some time floating around on the surface, so that's where the skimmer takes water from and in conjunction the debris floating around on the surface.

I have the Intex skimmer. It works good for me. It's only downside that I encountered was the mounting. It uses a clamp on mount; some find it doesn't hold it securely. I solved that problem with a simple PVC stand.

My set up includes an Intex 2650 GPH sand filter, Intex skimmer, Intex SWCG (sometimes I use bleach and leave off), and the Intex Deluxe vacuum kit. The only mod I did was the PVC stand for the skimmer.

Here's a couple pics. Sparkling clean water maintained with all stock Intex components (except for the skimmer PVC stand). And a shot of the PVC stand.

[attachment=2:1x23h966]pool from deck.JPG[/attachment:1x23h966]
[attachment=1:1x23h966]skimmer stand 1.JPG[/attachment:1x23h966]
[attachment=0:1x23h966]skimmer stand 2.JPG[/attachment:1x23h966]

Couple more specific answers.

I think the what and why have been answered.

How they are used? They get hooked up to your pump and mounted on your pool. They basically become a permanent part of your pump and filter system.

When they are used? Since they are part of your pump and filter system it is used whenever you are running the pump. You run your pump everyday for the length of time necessary to keep your pool clean. I run mine from 10am-4pm everyday right now.

duraleigh said:
Just a tiny little thread hi-jack....

jcp, that is outstanding pool water. :goodjob:

Thanks, I owe a lot of credit to the methods and advice offered here. Hope I can pass a little of that along so others can enjoy TroubleFree (not to be confused with maintenence free) pool ownership.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.