Blue-Green & Cloudy Water

Bogey

Jun 9, 2008
I have a 24 inch above ground pool that I cannot ever seem to get clean, let alone enjoy. The routine is this: Swamp green water when I start the summer season that changes (if I'm lucky enough) to a lighter shade of green after anywhere from 3 to 6 bags of super shock and an 18oz. bottle of algaecide. After vacuuming (to waste) and filtering 24/7 over the course of a week, I might see it change to a lighter shade of green. I added more shock (always upwards of 2 bags), vacuum and continue to filter in addition to regular tests (and adding whatever the pool store says I need to add). I'm currently at the point where I've put in the following in the past two and a half weeks: 9 bags of super shock, 2 bags of lithium shock, 2 bottles of 18oz. algaecide, 1 gal. jug of algaecide, 1 bucket of PH+ and 1 gal. jug of clarifier. My water is now a blue-green color, cloudy and I still can't see the bottom. The sand in the filter has been replaced and the filter cleaned. Should I continue to shock it into submission -- on that note, can and how much bleach should I use (and in what special manner)? Should I try something else? FWIW: My water tested status-quo (I don't have the numbers but can provide them later on today if it helps), so I'm really at a loss as to what's going on here.

Though we fill the pool with well water, metal contamination isn't a culprit - I learned this after spending too much money trying to eliminate it one year (and never getting clear water), only to have crystal clear water the following year using only shock, algaecide, flock and PH+.

Bogey,

You have found the right place, and soon you will be on the road to BBB and a clear pool without wasting your money on bags of shock and algeacide that you really don't need.

Posting your test numbers would be helpful, and the actual specifications of your pool and equipment.

Sorry for the sarcasm before.... :)

Read my article on turning your green swamp into a sparkling oasis. They keys to cleaning up your pool are chlorine, good testing, and persistence. Start with a good quality test kit and they you will be able to test and see if you have added enough chlorine or not. I recommend the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also a good kit.

Hah - 24 inches deep, you bet! I'm a goner if I don't wear my life jacket. ;) Actually, what I meant was my pool is 24 inches across. Probably not the standard way of measuring 'em, but there you have it. It's roughly four and a half feet deep, maybe five feet deep. I'm really not even all that sure how many gallons it holds (feel free to start pulling your hair now) - honestly, I'm still really new at all this pool stuff, but I'm giving it my best shot. I'll get numbers for you in a bit, going to buy a test kit tonight and test it. Thanks for your patience! Oh and, no need to apologize. I've got awfully thick skin and should've explained better.

I will assume you mean 24 feet in diameter x 4.5 feet deep. That would be 15,230 gallons.
Please look into the BBB and forgo the bags of shock and algaecide!
You just need to get a good test kit and spend some time learning to use it along with some research on this forum.
I keep my pool nice with just bleach from wal-mart, a bit of cyanuric acid (stabilizer-the only 'pool chemical' I buy), and muriatic acid from the local home depot.
Just my opinion and experience, but I think you will get many similar ones here!

24 feet across yes - my bad, yet again. I swear I'm so frustrated with this pool, I'm beginning to lose my mind. I did a test, and the results are:

Cl (measured above the 5.0 line on my test kit)
Br (same as CL)
pH (between 7.2 and 7.5)

Pool is still green and cloudy, visibility hasn't improved. I backwashed when I got home but haven't touched it since.

ETA:
After reading one of the suggested posts (turning your swamp into an oasis), it could just be a waiting game now...ie: waiting for my filter to get all the dead algae out. It's not as blue-green as it was a day or two ago, but I still can't see more than a foot down. Is this possible or can I add something to "speed up" the process (more clarifier or flock)?

A floc treatment can speed things up dramatically, but only if you do a fair bit of work and have a system that can vacuum to waste.

It is all much simpler with a good test kit. The watch for a color change trick is no where near as reliable as a good chlorine test. I recommend the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature. The Taylor K-2006 is also good.

Bogey, you posted some numbers but not CYA.

Did you test for it? You need to know your CYA level in order to shock to the right level. At this point you are just guessing and that won't speed up the process....you could be shocking to low to make any progress...

Once you know your shock level and can test for it with a chlorine test that measures above 5, you'll be in a much better place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Frustratedpoolmom - I posted the numbers I had... it was a 'three way' kit that tested Cl, Bl and PH levels (it's a liquid test kit). I'll see what I can get to test for CYA while waiting to receive the test kit suggested by JasonLion. FWIW, too, my pool filter can vacuum to waste. I've done flock treatments before and they are a PITA/last resort but it did the trick.

Bogey,

Take your water to a pool store and request a full set of test results, including CYA.

If your CYA tests under 30, the ONLY thing you should buy from the pool store is CYA/stabilizer. Leave everything else there.

Come back, post your numbers, and we will steer you towards a clear, sparkling pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.