I have a 24 inch above ground pool that I cannot ever seem to get clean, let alone enjoy. The routine is this: Swamp green water when I start the summer season that changes (if I'm lucky enough) to a lighter shade of green after anywhere from 3 to 6 bags of super shock and an 18oz. bottle of algaecide. After vacuuming (to waste) and filtering 24/7 over the course of a week, I might see it change to a lighter shade of green. I added more shock (always upwards of 2 bags), vacuum and continue to filter in addition to regular tests (and adding whatever the pool store says I need to add). I'm currently at the point where I've put in the following in the past two and a half weeks: 9 bags of super shock, 2 bags of lithium shock, 2 bottles of 18oz. algaecide, 1 gal. jug of algaecide, 1 bucket of PH+ and 1 gal. jug of clarifier. My water is now a blue-green color, cloudy and I still can't see the bottom. The sand in the filter has been replaced and the filter cleaned. Should I continue to shock it into submission -- on that note, can and how much bleach should I use (and in what special manner)? Should I try something else? FWIW: My water tested status-quo (I don't have the numbers but can provide them later on today if it helps), so I'm really at a loss as to what's going on here.
Though we fill the pool with well water, metal contamination isn't a culprit - I learned this after spending too much money trying to eliminate it one year (and never getting clear water), only to have crystal clear water the following year using only shock, algaecide, flock and PH+.