Pentair Intelliflo 3hp vs 1hp

May 23, 2013
Merced, CA
I'm trying to pull the trigger on a new variable speed pump to replace my Sta-Rite Max E Pro 1.5 hp pump that rattles like crazy and is killing me in electric usage.

I'm thinking the Pentair Intelliflo 011018 3hp max pump. But I've been told I can't use it because I have 1.5" return plumbing. However the current setup has the (2) 1.5" return lines combined into a 2" line about 18" ahead of the inlet to the pump. All of the plumbing around the equipment is 2" including to the filter and back out. Pentair has a new i1 pump that has 1.5" plumbing, is the same pump with a smaller impeller and reduced amperage somehow, but this one would require me to change fittings to attach to the current 2" inlet and outlet. It would be very nice to just put the 3hp pump in and go. I have a relative down the street who has one and it is fantastic.

The local Leslie's manage thinks no problem, just hook up the 3hp, will be just fine, but a local pool guy I know said the plumbing will be an issue, possible cavitation, ... .

Any ideas or thoughts much appreciated, I simply have to get this thing done, current pump is running me like $200+ per month at my .36 kwh rate at the high tier which I get to pretty quickly. (Yes, I'm looking at a solar power system, just haven't figured out best way to do yet). I think the VS pump might save me $100+ per month which will be a pretty quick payback.

Thanks, Luther(Chris in Central CA)

The IntelliFlo will be just fine with your pool. Given your electric rates, it should be a very good investment.

There is no point in getting the i1 version unless it is required by code. It is the exact same pump with the maximum speed limited by software. You might as well get the full pump, which allows you to set an equivalent setting if you want, or turn it off should a situation arise where you need more HP.

You can use the Intelliflo you just have to be careful about the maximum speed. You should never run on full speed with 1.5" plumbing. If you keep filter pressure below 15 PSI (without solar), you should be fine.

However, the Intelliflo may be overkill and more expensive that what you actually need. There are cheaper alternatives to the Intelliflo such as the Hayward MaxFlo VS and SuperPump VS both of which have a lower price point and more suited to smaller plumbing. With solar, you might go with the Hayward Superpump VS since it is a slightly higher head pump.

Gotcha, sounds like I'm on the right track. I realize that the 3hp might be a little overkill, but i have a potential spa replacement coming up(trashed for now and not a high priority) and may put in a water feature at some point. l'm aware of the Haywards, but my local guy says his distributor hasn't even seen them yet. He has coupons for them but no pumps and these local pool guys don't seem comfortable with the variable speed pumps for some reason, they say most people just want the cheapest most reliable pump, energy savings no issue. Hmmm, go figure. I get it but just don't want to give all my money to PG&E.

I'm having some issues with my filter, can't get below 15 psi and is running from post backflush 18psi or so to 24-25 really quickly, then seems to settle in at 30psi or so. I've been told to replace the sand. Have another post out there about that one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.