New Pool Targets?

Bevostein

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 5, 2012
Frisco, TX
I have a new pool. See signature for details. It was filled on 6/28 so I think the plaster is still in the curing process. PB has tuned everything over to me and I am working to get everything dialed in using the BBB method. Water looks really good so far. A few questions about my levels and FC loss. First my test results for the last two days taken at 9am, a very light bather load and a sunny blistering hot day:

Day 1 Day 2

pH=7.3 7.7
CYA=25 25
FC=5.5 2.5
CC=.5 .5
TA=60 60
CH=220 220

My questions are:

What level of CYA should I be targeting? It seems to me a lower level is better since it uses less FC but then again with a 3ppm loss in one day maybe a higher CYA would be better. I am thinking of targeting it at 40. That a lower figure on the range and with the natural evaporation I suspect I have it seems a good number to be at. Thoughts?

My pH seems to vary wildly or maybe this natural. When I took over the pool from PB the pH got over 8.2 and I brought it back down to 7.2 with muratic acid. I have been added more acid to keep it there. I did reduce some aeration from the water features and that helped with the tendency for it to increase. But yesterday it increased by .4 on its own. Is this normal or simply an effect of the plaster curing. Should I expect to be adding muratic acid frequently? I know all this stuff we are adding to the water is chemicals but there is something about dumping "acid' in there that is a little disconcerting.

I am interested in adding borates at some point for the benefit in the water feel and possibly to help my pH swing depending on the answer to my pH question. When is the right time to do this given this is a new pool?

Thanks so much.

Bevostein said:
What level of CYA should I be targeting? It seems to me a lower level is better since it uses less FC but then again with a 3ppm loss in one day maybe a higher CYA would be better. I am thinking of targeting it at 40. That a lower figure on the range and with the natural evaporation I suspect I have it seems a good number to be at. Thoughts?
I would target 50 since it sound like your pool gets quite a bit of sun exposure. Lower cya level actually can cause higher chlorine demand since more goes to the sun. Evaporation does not change cya levels once the level is brought back to normal with fill water.

Bevostein said:
My pH seems to vary wildly or maybe this natural. When I took over the pool from PB the pH got over 8.2 and I brought it back down to 7.2 with muratic acid. I have been added more acid to keep it there. I did reduce some aeration from the water features and that helped with the tendency for it to increase. But yesterday it increased by .4 on its own. Is this normal or simply an effect of the plaster curing. Should I expect to be adding muratic acid frequently? I know all this stuff we are adding to the water is chemicals but there is something about dumping "acid' in there that is a little disconcerting.
With new plaster you will be adding acid a lot. Probably for the next 6 months to a year. Acid additions also lower TA, so keep an eye on your TA so that it does not go much below 60 ppm (or 50 if you add borates).

Bevostein said:
I am interested in adding borates at some point for the benefit in the water feel and possibly to help my pH swing depending on the answer to my pH question. When is the right time to do this given this is a new pool?
My understanding is you should not add borates within the first month of new plaster, but after that it can be beneficial.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.