Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter High Pressure

May 23, 2013
Merced, CA
Am in the process of replacing my pump and was talking to the local Leslie's manager in regard to my Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter. I'm having trouble keeping the pressure down after backflushing. Can get it down to 18 psi or so, but runs back up to mid-twenties real quickly, like one day, then gets to 30 psi or so. He says this is way too high and I should change the sand in the filter. Just bought the house so don't know when last done. Does this sound right?

Then, the label on the filter says 450lbs sand media. Could this be right? 9 bags of sand? It's fine if it is, but seems like a lot.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Luther

Does you gauge go to 0 psi when the pump is off?

Most often and presure rise is indicating the filter is working and removing stuff from the water. When it goes up that high, do you backwash and is the backwash water dirty at first?

There are very few instances where the sand needs to be replaced. It does not "wear out".

Think about this. If the sand wore out by water running over it then there'd be nothing but dust on all the beaches of the world. And the ocean is a lot tougher on the sand than a sand filter could ever be. It just doesn't wear out like that.

From you're description, I'd say your sand is working really well!

What does your water look like?
Do you have a good test kit?
Can you post a full set of test results?

Backflush takes a few minutes, I do it the same as my local pool guy showed me. Then there is a setting for rinse, which I do after the backflush.

That's funny, probably true about the ocean and sand, does make one think. The Leslie's guy says is dangerous to run above 20's, sounds like he's trying to sell filters.

I'll just keep backflushing I guess. First up is the new VS Pump to keep the local utility out of my wallet in such a big way.

Water is clear, using test strips, all good except for very high total alkalinity, will put up numbers this afternoon. I am having some issues with yellow algae and spots of black algae where water doesn't seem to flow as well, i.e., sit step in corner of pool, and net tie thingies underwater. Have recently put in black algae treatment after metal brushing algae areas.

You have algae and your filter pressure is rising. Completely what should be happening.

Get yourself a good test kit and SLAM your pool until you have passed the OCLT and then your filter pressure will react normally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for slow response if anybody still reading this thread, too many jobs...
Using a test strip kit, I get:
Total Chlorine 2
Free Chlorine 1
PH 8.4
Total Alkalinity 240
Cyanic Acid 100

I'm aware the PH is high, has been ongoing, seems like it'll eat as much Muriatic Acid as I'll give it. I'll add more in the morning, and add some more chlorine, I run 2 floaters in the pool, generally 4-5 tabs going at any time and use 1 pouch of shock each Saturday for some reason. My goal is to get mwater healthy and my total chemical usage down to reasonable. So far not so bad except for acid.

Tx, Luther

Thanks all for the recent responses, I just saw them as I posted the chemical analysis. I'm heading to the pool school forum to look up SLAM and how to get a good test kit. I obviously have algae, just realized that high alkilinity would lead to high algae, geez. I'll start reading now and will follow up here as I try to get it right. I'll be busy with this and the new Pentair Intelliflo that's on it's way to replace my POS Sta-Rite. Gotta do it, wife's sister now has a 100 person birthday party planned for my back yard and I'll be a dead man if I have issues with the pool.
Thanks again all, obviously I have a lot to get figured out. I'll post as I go along.
Luther

LutherKrank said:
I obviously have algae, just realized that high alkalinity would lead to high algae, geez.
Sorry, but high alkalinity has nothing to do with algae! It'll make your pH rise quickly, and it contributes to scaling, but it has nothing to do with algae.

Low chlorine levels is the reason for the algae. a good test kit is an vital tool in keeping the water balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.