New home owner, some questions

cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
Hey everyone! I'm Cory. Bought a home on the first of June with a 20000 gallon vinyl liner pool. The previous owner had let it go for several years, and had to replace the liner and pump as per the purchase agreement, but she didn't tell anyone the pump was fixed, so the water turned green and nasty. Finally got it clear in the last week or so, but it isn't holding chlorine. I was using 3" tablets, but yesterday I switched to bleach. I put 2 gallons of Chlorox in it yesterday at about 2pm, raising it to about 6, and this morning at 6am, it was at 0. Put 2 more gallons in this morning, and now it's in the range of 5-6. Using HTH drop tests. I know other tests are recommended, but that's what I have and can afford for now. Am I going to have an algae problem, or is someting else taking my chlorine? I get direct sun from around 10am to about 4-5PM here in Louisiana. Here are the results from this morning:

CL: 5 or more, kit only shows up to 5
PH: 7.4
TH: When I add the titrant, it turns purple before I swirl it, but after swirling, it's barely tinted, barely darker than plain water. I've added about 3" water since I checked last, so maybe there is none left. Last check, it was at 110. I wouldn't worry about it, except the pool place says without hardness, my Dolphin won't climb the walls.
TA: 160
CYA:50

I put 2 gallons of Chlorox in it yesterday at about 2pm, raising it to about 6, and this morning at 6am, it was at 0.
That your chlorine was consumed overnight indicates you have organics in your pool. To clear your pool completely of organics, you need to SLAM it.

No, you don't have to do it at all but I think you are consuming w-a-a-ay too much chlorine.

Do a precise test, the OCLT, to confirm your chlorine loss and then make your own decision based on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got the fas-dpd agents coming from taylor. I'll assume they won't be here for 2 or 3 days. Will I be OK with just keeping putting a couple gallons of bleach in daily to keep the levels acceptable until I can start the Slam process?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.