BigJD's Pool Build by the numbers

BigJD

Jun 6, 2008
Folks,

We are embarking on our pool build and I want to take you guys on the journey with me!

Some starting notes:

1.) I have a pretty challenging site: big slope, lots of trees to remove, and most definitely granite ledge
2.) I have selected a PB. They have done 8 or so pools in my development, all with positive results and the PB project manager lives in my development as well.
3.) We are going with a vinyl liner. Mostly due to cost, but partly due to comfort (my wife grew up with vinyl and prefers it).
4.) We will not have a spa.
5.) My wife intends to do laps in this pool. Should the shallow section be deeper than the standard (which I assume is 3'6" correct me if I am wrong)

We have made some decisions about the pool already:

• Pool: 21'X40' Mountain Oasis (I believe it is made by Imperial Pools with a Premier liner). The pool will be approximately 21,000 gallons, have an Autofill and overflow
    Cleaner: Port for a Polaris 280, might buy now or later
    Pump: This is open but I am leaning toward the Hayward Tristar
    Filter: PB recommends Sta-rite modular media ... I am open to suggestion (I don't want DE)
    Heater: Heat Pump, Leaning toward Hayward
    Controls: Aqua Plus 2, with 40K SWG
    Light: Open to recommendations, I would like some color ;)
    Deck: Pavers (but that is much later)

I am meeting with the PB tonight to go over initial contracts etc. Does anyone had advice on equipment at this point? The PB uses MyBluePool equipment. I am going to ask him if I can provide the equipment and have him just install it.

Pictures of site to come.

Thanks!

JD

I don't know anything about equipment, but I do have one recommendation. Don't let the paver decision wait too long. Find out what the lead time is so you aren't left with a concrete shell that can't be finished until the pavers come in.

kcj,

Congratulations on your new pool.

Pin the builder down on the pump size and make sure that he does not provide one with too much horsepower. Ask for hydraulic calculations. Especially since you do not have a spa (and hence the need for HP to power spa jets) high horsepower is not needed for circulation. You would need higher HP only sporadically for vacuuming or for your cleaner.

Are you considering a 2-speed or variable speed pump? I don't know which state you are in, but California has recently outlawed new ore retrofit single-speed motors. You are required to use either two-speed or variable speed motors on all new and retrofit projects.

Strongly consider an oversized filter. You will never regret having to clean an oversized filter only once or twice a year as compared to cleaning an "adequately sized" filter every month.

Consider installing more than one light. I have never heard anyone complain about too much light on this forum, but lots of people complaining about not enough light. At least install the light niches even if you don't install lights in them right now.

Consider the number and placement of skimmers. Many people only have one skimmer and with they had two. Consider the prevailing wind direction in where to place your skimmer. Nothing is worse than having one skimmer at one end of the pool and having the prevailing wind send all of the floating debris to the opposite end.

Titanium

Hello again folks! After almost a three year hiatus, we saved our pennies and I am back with an actual signed pool contract! :)

New pool info:

Pool: 16' X 42' X 24' True L, vinyl liner, steel full width steps and a swimout/cuddle cove
Cleaner: later, most likely a tigershark
Pump: Hayward Tristar 3/4 hp
Filter: Hayward Cartridge
Heater: most likely Hayward low nox
Controls: Aqua Plus 2, with 40K SWG
Light: 1 (maybe 2) Colorlogics
Deck: Pavers (but that is much later)

Tree removal company is coming to quote tomorrow. Pool contract date is 5/16 but we are hoping for last week in April!

Here are some pics of the site:

First from existing deck:

Second reverse from the big rock in the above picture (the big rock will be the far corner of the L.

Attachments

• site1.jpg
    site1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 2,069
  • site2.jpg
    site2.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 2,069
I had solid granite 2 ft under the grass-so be prepared for extra cost of a rock crusher-cost me $2500 per day (3 days). I have a 60ft3 DE filter and love it. DE is cheap ($25 per box of 4 charges) and I backfulsh 1x per month. I wish I had one of the new Pentair variable speed pumps. Will save you a bundle in kwh costs (here is $0.15 per kwh). My 2hp pump single speed is costing me $60-80 per month and I run 10hr per day for my 30,000 gal (700ft3) pool. Have them run the one supply line for a Polaris 360, even if you do not buy initially. My 360 works great if I help it steer for max cleaning efficiency. It will clean my pool in less than 1 hr if I help steer and does a great job. The robotics were too exepsnive for my tastes.

My best reconmendation is have them install a salt chlorinator. I have an autopilot. The best investment ever made. The only chemical I add during the pool year is acid to maintain the pH. I 'shock' the pool 2x per year (once when I open in April, and once just prior to closeing in Oct). It maintains the chlorine perfect, and the salt (3000ppm) is too low to taste but it gives the water a silky feel and the wife loves it for her hair!

>> Pump: Hayward Tristar 3/4 hp

get a variable speed pump (note: not simply a pump with 2,3,6 speeds but true variable speed). I deeply regret all the years and all the pools I've had where I purchased single speed systems.

Saltwater system is a definite and it is included in the quote. I am fully prepared for the ledge issue, mentally and financially (although rock crushing here is $1500/day) :)

How much of a benefit is the EcoStar over the Tristar? Is it worth the cost?

IMO, a VS pump is not worth the cost unless you are in an area that has a high electricity prices or live in an area where you keep the pool open and running year round. If your electric rates are reasnable and you close the pool 6-7 months out of the year, a 3/4 HP single speed or a 2 speed is plenty good. When i replace my 3/4 hayward super, I might look into a 2 speed, but for most people that want to save a bit on electricity, a 2 speed is fine. But thats just my opinion. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool will be closed 7 months out of the year, our electricity is around $0.15 per kwh according to Hayward ....

[attachment=0:1m49pxbv]hayward.jpg[/attachment:1m49pxbv]

Attachments

• hayward.jpg
    hayward.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,030
Those Hayward savings estimates for the EcoStar are optimistic. For most people a variable speed pump saves around 50% to 60%. I've seen variable speed installs with savings around 80%, but they are rare and invariably result from replacing a pump that was dramatically oversized to begin with. Getting paid back for the additional investment for a variable speed over a two speed with an electric rate around $0.15 and a pool season of about half the year is rather unlikely.

Only insured tree pro's for me thanks ... and we have tons of tree guys out here ... second tree quote at $1895

Solar is a definite future possibility. rear of my house faces almost due south and I have a lot of roof ....

JD,

I am impressed that you found and added to your old thread........I can't remember where I put my keys 10 minutes ago. :shock:

Looks to me like you are off and running. The whole forum loves pictures and we are always ready to share our opinions.......sometimes even if they are not asked. :shock: :shock:

Just kidding, the advice and level of professionalism on this forum is without equal. We're happy you came back to share your pool build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.