Can you add 12.5% bleach directly int a Hayward chlorinator?

Re: Can you add 12.5% bleach directly int a Hayward chlorina

No, I would not myself. The CL200 is really only for pucks not liquid. When you open the lid it is full of water and you would the have too remove some of the water just to add the chlorine bleach. With as hard as it is to take the top off, it wouldnt even be worth it even to add a small amount. Its recommended and much easier and to just pour it slowly in front of a return jet. I use my inline chlorinator for when I am on vacations or to raise my CYA with trichlor pucks. If you happen to be new to pools be sure to read through pool school if you havent already!

NO!!! Do not do that it is extremely dangerous! You can cause an explosion and at the least cause terrible chemical fumes.

PJ said:
NO!!! Do not do that it is extremely dangerous! You can cause an explosion and at the least cause terrible chemical fumes.

I'm not so sure about that. Sodium Hypo is sodium hypo, whether it is bonded to a liquid carrier or bonded to a solid carrier contained in a tablet. My lid come on and off quite easily, so no concerns regarding difficulties adding the product ever few days. Just curious if anyone has had success doing this.

PJ is correct, mixing trichlor and bleach at full strength can result in an explosion, and will at a minimum produce dangerous fumes.

Besides adding bleach to a tablet feeder is a complete waste of time, as it will simply feed into the pool over the next several minutes. You might as well add bleach the way we recommend, by pouring slowly in front of a return jet while the pump is running.

I have a brand new unit, never used pucks in it. I've set it to the #1 setting and still had high levels of chlorine in the hopper a few days later. To me it is a way to slowly chlorinate over a few days in addition to regular dosing. What is the chemistry behind the explosion or dangerous fumes caution? Not trying to start an argument, I sincerely appreciate your guys viewpoints!

Since you say it has NEVER had pucks (which you didn't say before) it is fine to use it. I see the application as rather pointless but, if you find a way to make it work, there's no reason not to experiment as you like.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.