New Pool....Here are the numbers.

Hello all,
I had my new pool installed a couple of months ago. I have been reading this site for about a month. So, I am really learning some GREAT stuff. Anyway, I ordered the Taylor K-2006 test kit. I tested the water Friday. Here are the readings:
TA 80
CYA Did not turn cloudy (0)
Ca Hardness 100
FC 0.2
CC 0.2
pH 8.0
Okay, from what I have read here and from using the pool calculator, I have decided to hit the CYA and pH levels first. According to the Pool Calculator, I should add 170 oz of CYA to get to 70. Being a new pool, I don't doubt the CYA being 0. But, instead of adding 170 oz, I added approximately 90 oz, I am running my pump all night and will check the CYA levels next weekend. I figure this will help with CYA, pH and FC. Then, after testing next week, look to adjust other items. I am basically asking, if this is the right approach at this time?
Thank you for any response and information.
Tom

You really need to know what you readings are right now. The FC has definate changes since Frida and some of the others may have also.
Where did you get your numbers from? Store? Your Kit? If the store, what did they use for your testing. If your kit, what kit do you have?

Knowing what is going on in your pool, right now, is critical to knowing.

I used a speedometer analogy yesterday and it really seemed to help. If you equated your test result to a car, you test said you were going 55 MPH yesterday. What are you going today?

As to the numbers you do have, you FC is critically low. You need to have at least 2PPM FC in you pool at all times and should aim for a minimum of 3FC. To get there you should add some liquid chlorine to get you to 4FC to allow for loss. The sun consumes your FC very quickly with zero CYA.

I would adjust pH to get closer right way, and get some more chlorine in there, then work on CYA (which is acidic and will lower pH a little more, so aim high in your initial adjustment), then work on fine tuning from there

Two out of three ain't bad!

Yes, fix the pH first with acid. While that's mixing, mess around with the CYA and the sock. By the time that's rigged, you can add chlorine. Remember, the CYA won't dissolve and be working 100% for a few days, so the pool will still have trouble holding FC during daylight hours until it does.

Thanks to all for the advise. I do use the recommended Taylor K-2006 kit. Here are the numbers from this morning, (Sunday):
FC 1.8
TA 90
Ca Hard 110
pH 7.5
cc 0.2
Even though all instructions say to wait a week to retest CYA....I did it anyway, just to see and it came out 80. After I week I will check it again.
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to all of you and this site, I think I am on my way to a more stable pool. But, what amazes me is the pool place that installed the pool. One of the guys came out to activate teh SWG , we added salt and he set the SWG and told me, "Well, man you are ready to go." So, I went to the stores "Pool School" a couple of weeks later.....they never mentioned FC, CYA or some of the other things. I knew there was more upkeep to it that that, even with a SWG. So, I bought a little test kit from WalMart and the Chlorine never did even register on it. That's when I looked and found this site. Thank goodness I did.

Thank you, techguy, I will. Okay, after adding some Clorox this morning and CYA yesterday, I just checked my readings after church:

FC 3.4
TA 90
Ca Hard 110
pH 7.6
CC 0.2
As stated before, the CYA was 80. But, I will recheck it at the end of the week. I will check the others daily. But, I do feel I am on my way to a better pool. Thanks to all of you and the GREAT information in the Pool School section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.