Phenol Red....

Pool_Fool

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 24, 2012
Lynchburg, VA
Or should I say not so.

Just curious if anyone here has ever experienced the Ph test not being any red that matches
any of the colors on the test tube.
I use a K-2006 Taylor test kit and sometimes the red doesn't match the color it is closest too.
Example - for 7.4 result, the tested pool sample is a deeper shade of the red in that field. It isn't
orange enough to be 7.2 and it isn't pink enough to be 7.6 but it also doesn't match the 7.4,
But it is 7.4. I have looked through it to different light sources and different backgrounds, but no matter what
it just doesn't match. I was just curious if there may be something present in the water
to have that affect on the test..... OR I am just going color blind! :)

anyway if anyone has experienced something similar or knows a possible reason behind it, Thanks for sharing.

PF

There is a unique purple color, not in any of the color samples, when the FC level is around 20+. But that doesn't sound like what you are describing.

The color never exactly matches any of the color samples, unless you are using liquid color references (which exist, though they cost so much no one uses them). But it should be close enough to make the comparison obvious enough.

I trust my readings of the redness, I was just curious if anyone knew if there was something present in the water that may make it look a deeper red
than it should for that field.

...just curious(probably just over thinking it)

Thanks again
PF

Yes that is correct, the number of drops is not critical. I usually don't use 5 drops in my K-2006 pH test because the result is too dark and saturated compared to the reference colors. 3 or 4 drops works much better in my case. So try adding 1 fewer drop if your result is too dark and saturated or add 1 more drop if it's too light and less saturated than the reference. What you want to be comparing is the hue, not the lightness or saturation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.