New to pool chemistry

Jul 13, 2013
Thank you for your forum! I am 8 months pregnant and enduring the 90 + degree days of wonderful Colorado. The pool is surely a refuge. However, the chemistry is a bit confusing. We have been using (apparently) the dreaded test strips and have had consistent low ph, and cya (the strips just say stabilizer) that won't even register. Since we have been trying to add stabilizer/conditioner, the fc and cc have both been increasingly high, even though the cya and ph remain low. Is this a case of just bad strips? What can I do to lower fc/cc?

Thanks in advance!
Rebekah

Welcome to TFP.

It's going to hard to help you out without some valid test results with a real test kit. I think you know those strips are worthless.

I'm going to suggest you spend some time in pool school. Check out ABC's of water chemistry.

How many gallons of water ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

save yourself some headaches and order the TF-100 test kit. It will give you accurate results and make you feel like a smart chemist. Then, post your results here and the super experienced TFP peeps will point you in the right direction.

We also have an aqua chem test kit. It shows the fc and cc are in the 5.0 range. It also showed the ph as being low, which reading in the pool school and abc's of water chemistry, seems weird. Should I be concerned about the high chlorine and if so, are there steps to reduce? We get a lot of sunlight, and it would seem from reading that it should be lowering the chlorine??? And also says ph tends to drift up. Where is the best place to buy the TF-100?

Well we have two types of tests. Both are Aqua Chem brand. The strips show "stabilizer" as 0 (though I have added upwards of 2lbs conditioner in the last two week. The other Aqua chem test we have are drops and only tests Chlorine and pH. Both tests show high fc and cc. The chlorine levels were fine until I started adding all the conditioner to raise the CYA. So I assume the test strips just aren't showing the right level on CYA?

Honestly we have no valid test results that I or you can trust.

That's why you need a quality test kit so you know exactly where your levels are. It will make your life alot easier and pool more enjoyable.

Do what you have to to keep your water clear and get the test kit. Then get back to us with some valid test results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support