Raccoon scat

Jul 13, 2013
I have a swg in ground pool and had found raccoon scat on the steps. Raccoons 60-80 % carry raccoon round worms and the eggs in feces number in the millions. Chlorine doesn't kill them and if ingested they can lead to blindness organ damage and death, although rare. The CDC says empty the pool. My issue is there is no real information on the viability of the eggs in the water over time. If he was a problem pools, rivers, lakes across the us would be infected. I wrote to a raccoon habilitation facility and they said the the chlorine and uv should degrade the eggs over time maybe a month.

Short of emptying the pool each time I may find scat on the pool steps I thought I'd install a uv system as well.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The CDC in this link also gives the option of 24 hours of filtration followed by backwashing/cleaning and removal/replacement of the filter media. You need to wear gloves and be careful with the cleaning. Their second option is to drain the pool, but basically the eggs are not so small as to not get caught in the filter so good circulation with filtration should remove them (as shown in this link the eggs are 80-85 µm by 65-70 µm in size so even sand filters can capture them). 7 turnovers would filter 99.9% of the pool water (with ideal circulation and mixing) so 24 hours implies a 3.4 hour turnover. If your turnover is longer, then filter for longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.