Big storm a few nights ago in VA...had to drain water...

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
test results have changed:

pH 7.4
FC 4
TA 60
CH 120
CYA 25

I added what I had left of a calcium increaser.....probably a pound or two.

I also added about 4 oz of soda ash to bring the pH up a little, probably to around 7.6.

Really necessary to increase TA, or am I ok as long as I keep my CSI within range of no less than -.6 and .6?

Do I really need to bring CH up to 220?

Importantly, bring CYA up to 40 ppm or so so you can hold FC a little better.

I do not know where to get Calcium Chloride.

You can adjust all three one right after the other in no particular sequence. Personally, I would leave TA alone.-

duraleigh said:
Importantly, bring CYA up to 40 ppm or so so you can hold FC a little better.

I do not know where to get Calcium Chloride.

You can adjust all three one right after the other in no particular sequence. Personally, I would leave TA alone.-

Just curious....

why would you leave TA at 60 if recommended levels are 70 - 90?

At what point should I raise TA?...and to what?

^^^^^??????

What about CH recommended level of 220? Should I worry about adding more calcium?

My water is crystal clear, and there's no signs of staining. I've increased my pH to 7.5 to account for the acidity of the trichlor tablet I've got in the chlorinator to help raise CYA a bit. I'm assuming that my TA has gone down about 3 to TA 57 because of the trichlor tablet. Using these numbers my CSI is -0.52:

FC 6
pH 7.5
TA 56
CH 130
CYA 28

Am I ok as long as I don't let the CSI go less than -0.6?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let me guess, pool store numbers?

Everything looks fine enough that there is no need to panic, just some minor adjustments. You just need some calcium increaser if you want to get that to recommended fiberglass numbers. Should be at any pool store. Your CYA could use a bump but you say you are using trichlor to do that. If your pH starts drifting down due to trichlor use some washing soda to bring both pH and TA up. If the pH doesn't go down much just some baking soda to raise your TA to where you want it.

EDIT: If the pool store doesn't have calcium increaser you could chlorinate with cal-hypo for a while to bring the numbers back to where you want them as well.

Donldson said:
Let me guess, pool store numbers?

Everything looks fine enough that there is no need to panic, just some minor adjustments. You just need some calcium increaser if you want to get that to recommended fiberglass numbers. Should be at any pool store. Your CYA could use a bump but you say you are using trichlor to do that. If your pH starts drifting down due to trichlor use some washing soda to bring both pH and TA up. If the pH doesn't go down much just some baking soda to raise your TA to where you want it.

EDIT: If the pool store doesn't have calcium increaser you could chlorinate with cal-hypo for a while to bring the numbers back to where you want them as well.

No....no pool store numbers, TF 100 numbers.

So, adding soda ash (pH up) will also increase TA as well as pH?

Donldson said:
Yes, soda ash will raise both. Sorry to assume those were pool store numbers, but when you put 28 for CYA or 56 for TA, they sound like pool store testing.

Gotcha....

no, I was using tf 100 test results, and then using the "Effects of adding chemicals" section.... after I got initial results of TA 60 and CYA 25, I then added 8 oz of trichlor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.