First competition this weekend....

Molson

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2008
Midland, Ontario
So we had our first comp, it was the second in the Ontario Series (We had to miss the first)
Great weather, 29-32 C all weekend. Our team has 2 members this year, last year we had 3.

Its a typical competion with the usual categories, beef brisket, pork shoulder, ribs and chicken.

Last year we were the Ontario Series Champions and had the honor of competing at the Jack Daniels World Invitational down in Lunchburg, TN.

We didn't do overly bad, but when trying new recipes and with one less member, its like starting over.

We ended 19th overall out of 26.

4th place ribs
24th place chicken (we thought it was the best yet, but one out of 6 judges did not)
12th place brisket
22nd place shoulder

all in all it was a great weekend.

Next up is the Canadian Open in July!

there it not much for a recipe, pick your favourite beef rub (if you need ideas for that, let me know).. Slather the brisket in mustard, or a brisket slather (mustard + spices etc) and put on a 250 degree smoker. For brisket we used some cherry wood, some apple, some Jamaican run infused woodscuits, some bourbon infused woodscuits.

Our 12lb brisket took 13 hours, then it was wrapped twice in foil, then a towl and stuck in a cooler for 3 hours. Remove, slice and serve.

Congratulations,

I miss competition BBQ, but not the all-nighters they usually turned in to. Brisket is one of our favorites and I have a bit different twist to the technique. I mustard up, add rub and smoke heavily at 225F for three hours using hickory. I then put it in a high-temp bag, wrap with saran, then foil and finish in the oven at 225F until 210F internal temperature. I did a quick video, including a tip on separating the point from the blade here.

http://www.tumbleweedglass.com/brisket.html

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.