Woke up to cloudy water this morning!

Jul 24, 2012
I woke up this morning to cloudy water. Here are my test results:

FC - 20 (I just shocked)
TA - 160
CYA - 40
PH - 7.8

Do I keep the shock level up until the water clears?

I live in Ohio and we have had terrible rain here. On 3 separate occasions, I have had to pump at least 3 inches (each time) of water out of the pool, but I thought I was doing a good job keeping up with the balancing.

Your pH and TA are high so if the CH is also high then you might have cloudiness from calcium carbonate over-saturation. Though CH isn't needed for vinyl pools, if yours isn't very low, then the high pH and TA could cloud the pool. Shocking with chlorine raises the pH while the FC is high (unless you first lower the pH before shocking, which is what we recommend if you are shocking to a high FC level).

Forgot to post update. My pool cleared up overnight! I caught it early enough. Many of my friends had the same problem, so we think it had to do with the massive amount of rain we've had. I shocked for an extra day just to be on the safe side, but my pool is crystal clear. Thanks everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.