Recurring Mustard Algae and milky white pool sides

Jul 13, 2013
Dothan, AL
I just found your forum today and have a lot of changes to make. I have already shocked it yesterday and today with 2 lbs shock each time and added EZ Chlor Mustard Algae Plus. Not the best of choices I guess after reading, but was desperate to get started treading while the bloom was early. I have an extra question I'm not sure is related to the algae or pool construction.

After we give the pool a good scrub (yellow gone) we can still get a milky white substance to rub off with our hands. I noticed this today and we had it a few months back as well. Also I remember it a couple of years ago when we were just getting started.

Could this be dead clinging mustard algae or paint/plaster coming off sides of the pool?

FC - 10+
CC - water is a bit cloudy, but my strips can't test for this
pH - 7.2-7.6
TA - 80
CH - Calcium Hardness was in normal range last time tested a couple of weeks ago
CYA - 100, higher than usual, but I have also added 4 lbs shock in the last 24 hrs.

Currently using 4 way test strips. I'm sorry that I don't have complete water chemistry analysis, shop is closed until monday and I feel like the other pool store just wants to sell me chemicals. We have been battling mustard algae every year, several times each year. This year seems to be the worst, we have had a bunch of rainstorms that I think are bringing in the algae.

Might help to know that we also have a leak somewhere as we have to add water, usually on a weekly basis.

Thanks in advance for your help, I will try to be patient with my pool and we will start implementing the pool school pointers.

I would refer you to recommended levels and the cya/chlorine chart in pool school. What does CH "in range" mean in regards to our recommended levels? If tested at a pool store or with your strips, your CYa is likely MUCH higher than 100. Treating mustard algae is gonna be a gargantuan task. Replacing water is the only fix. Welcome to TFP.

Your problem is that your CYA is way too high... presuming the test was accurate, test strips and pool stores are notoriously inaccurate. Unless you lower your CYA, you will have trouble getting rid of algae, especially mustard algae, and keeping it away. The only way to lower CYA is to partially drain your pool.

The first thing we suggest here that you do is order yourself a good test kit. We recommend the TF100. I know everyone pushes the test kit and I wasn't sure about it when we first got our pool... but it will be your best friend while getting your pool to sparkling!... and thereafter... love it!

While you are waiting on that, read through Pool School... specifically....

ABC's of Pool water Chemistry
How To: SLAM

Do keep your chlorine up, keep the debris out, and keep brushing until you have your test kit to try and keep algae from getting worse. Post your results when you get them, and we can help you from there.

I don't know what the white residue is that you speak of. Might have something to do with your pool type.

Our CYA usually is about 30 on the test strip. I don't remember what the number was last time we did an analysis, they felt all numbers were in range and couldn't tell me why the pool was cloudy. It was super cloudy so we "dropped" it and vac'ed to waste. We have done that 2 times this year already. Takes forever to drop usually 2 or 3 days. I will take a sample to my least favorite store to get some current #'s.

If the pool store is right (they usually aren't) your CYA is way too high. If your CYA is really 150, you will need to replace 2/3 of your water. The problem is, CYA is the test pool stores most often get wrong. This is why, for us to help you, you need to get the recommended test kit, which is linked to in my signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.