Jun 25, 2013
Memphis, TN
pH - 7.6
FC - 4
CH - 50
TA - 110
CC - 0
CYA -40

Got rid of algea bloom about 2 weeks ago with your help!! Thanks. Ran the pump 24/7 after those two weeks; it now runs 12 hours a day. I have done the OCLT and found there to be no change. The cloudiness does not seem to be going away. I know the talk of store chemicals should be banished and only used by those who desire or have been unwittingly fooled into thinking there is no other option. but should I use a clarifier. I have not tried the DE add trick.

I do have a bottle of Pool First Aid by Natural Chemistry laying around.

I just want my cloud to go away!!!

Give me a hand with my circa '76 pool!

Thanks in advance

I think I would have lost patience about ten days ago.

If you have a friend or neighbor with a DE filter, beg a few cups of DE from them and give that a shot. I, personally, wouldn't buy a huge bag of the stuff just for the small amount you'll need.

If you have clarifier, try the search function using its name, and see what reports there might be. Google it for reviews. Then decide if it's worth the gamble. You've already got it... And keep us informed. Good or bad results, it doesn't matter; it adds to the collective knowledge base here.

2013-07-09%2016.24.41.jpg

Maybe this link will work. I'm not sure it will show the cloudiness of the water I need to use my camera enclosure for that I rekon!

Link didn't work. Keep trying to get a pic up, if you can.

There are two parts to having crystal water....

1. Chemistry - you seem to have that covered and understood pretty well so I don't see that as an issue.

2. Filtration - The first thing I see is only one skimmer. That's a pretty big pool just for one skimmer so that's sort of a bottleneck.

What size is your sand filter? When do you backwash it? Have you popped it open to look at the sand bed in the last couple of years?

duraleigh said:
Link didn't work. Keep trying to get a pic up, if you can.

There are two parts to having crystal water....

1. Chemistry - you seem to have that covered and understood pretty well so I don't see that as an issue.

2. Filtration - The first thing I see is only one skimmer. That's a pretty big pool just for one skimmer so that's sort of a bottleneck.

What size is your sand filter? When do you backwash it? Have you popped it open to look at the sand bed in the last couple of years?
My filter is so old I have no idea I have a picture of it. There are no union fittings to easily pull off the Multiport.

I am totally cool with changing the filter sand, I had contemplatinted/researched that on this forum and on the GOOGLE, but decided against it since so many people said that 'you'll know when to replace the sand when the seals and gaskets on the multiport go bad!'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h24x0s7h6jzr ... .30.10.jpg

Maybe you guys know how much sand I need.

Changing the sand is almost surely not needed. However, inspecting/cleaning the sand bed is a good idea annually.

At some point, I think you should consider cutting the filter loose so you can open it up and look around. It'll be pretty obvious if anything is amiss.

Clean the sand thoroughly by scooping up the debris on top of the bed and then stick a running garden hose down in it and clean (rinse) the sand bed by stirring it up and allowing the overflow to carry away all the debris.

If necessary fill the filter so the sand is at the 2/3 level and you'll be all set.

When you reinstall, use unions so you can simply unscrew it next year and perform the cleaning/inspection once again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just an update, if you were following:

The water cleared up just days after this post with no intervention by me.

I installed the unions so I could remove the multiport valve only to discover that my multiport has screws on top of it to gain access to the sand(I assume.) Oh well at least I have those on there now!

After some thinking I believe left over 'pool-stored days' led to cloudy water.
I've been adding Phos-Free Plus and PolyQuat together to my skimmer once a week. I have since discontinued the use of this chemical combonation for now.

My water was clear yesterday before I added the PolyQuat just to see if my water gets murky again. Will keep you updated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.