Keeping gunite wet

May 2, 2013
Dallas area
Hello - we live in the dallas area. Wicked hot and dry lately. Had gunfire applied yesterday. A neighbor said we should wet the gunite with a hose twice a day. Pool builder did not mention anything. I called him and he said to wet it at least once a day. Well I hit it last night and this morning. Water soaks in real quick. I just can't see beating Mother Nature. How critical is this step. Should I be hitting it more with this heat? At least over the weekend?

Anthony

Re: Keeping gunfire wet

Are you getting us mixed up with a firearms forum or has Siri been in the vodka this AM? :mrgreen:

To answer, I don't think you can overwet that gunite. You can certainly do too little but unlikely you can do too much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We were told 2 things:

1. it is VERY important that you water it thoroughly 2 or 3 times a day
2. you can't overdo it: get everything wet and try to get all gunite surfaces the same darker color before you quit

We live in the Dallas area and went through this about 10 days ago and it took me an hour to wet down the gunite each time.

aiannar974 said:
Hello - we live in the dallas area. Wicked hot and dry lately. Had gunfire applied yesterday. A neighbor said we should wet the gunite with a hose twice a day. Pool builder did not mention anything. I called him and he said to wet it at least once a day. Well I hit it last night and this morning. Water soaks in real quick. I just can't see beating Mother Nature. How critical is this step. Should I be hitting it more with this heat? At least over the weekend?

Anthony

Don't feel bad. We had shotcrete done a couple of weeks ago and they didn't mention anything about the wetting process with that. Glad I have this place to know how things are supposed to be done.

While I'm not at that stage yet (very jealous of you) here's what my pool builder put in the construction guide they gave me. We are in the Dallas area also.

The pool structure will cure stronger and last longer if you wet it and keep it moist. Start the morning after gunite and continue two or three times a day for seven days. During very hot weather, more wetting is desired. However, in winter if temperature drops to 40 degrees or lower DO NOT WATER.
THIS PROCESS IS KNOWN AS CURING AND IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

The sprinkler in the pool sounds like a good idea. I was going to just walk around the pool for an hour with a hose and a beer.

Gonna gunite soon and PB said to start watering 5 days after for a total of 5 days.

Any reason why start after 5 days and then once started is five days enough?

Also, anyone know of any problems with doing gunite in hot temperatures? probably 90 degrees and then that afternoon 100?

Thanks

Gonna gunite soon and PB said to start watering 5 days after for a total of 5 days.

Any reason why start after 5 days and then once started is five days enough?

Also, anyone know of any problems with doing gunite in hot temperatures? probably 90 degrees and then that afternoon 100?

Thanks
Ask the gunite crew what they recommend. I live near Denton and just had gunite last week. With how hot it is the foreman said to start watering that same day....in fact 4 hours after they left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Here is what I was always told for watering the gunite.
"Watering cools the temperature of the gunite and allows for a
slower curing process, insuring maximum finished psi strength."
A reputable gunite company will warranty the work either way and are usually answering to the PB. My PB said water it a few days if its hot to slow down the process, but it wasn't necessary past that. My warranty is through my PB, so I do what he says.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.